i'm gonna go live on my motoredbike...why not, eh?

Awesome!!! There is no doubt; No doubt whatsoever that S-II and the PF-40 will do this thang just fine!!! Looks like you are fairly well covered with your bags and that good ol' Alice packYou must know I'm having the itch, as I've been out of state on road trips twice in a month now- Though the minivan is nice, it ain't the same!!!
I'm considering a purpose built H.D. X-country build (after the three in process currently) next to get it on again. I am not pining here thopugh, I am pleased with my current life choices and know I'm on the right path.
Anyway, A couple of tips I learned-
Dollar store tarps are great and fold small, small, small for space saving and packing. I'd suggest three.
Ziplock freezer bags in various sizes for stuff.
First aid kit, snakebite/bee sting kit/ emergency survival kit.
Old wool military surplus blanket= excellent sleeping pad, extra cover for those chillier mountain nights, and well it's just good to have for whatever.
Choose your knife wisely- as an old rendezvous/mountain man once said to me: "forget the junk novelty "survival knife", the knife you carry IS your survival knife. So choose wisely."
Toilet Paper= go to any fast food joint and snag a handful of napkins, place in ziplock baggy.
My Buddy from the Forces always carries baby wipes as they are useful in so many more ways...
Dr. Bonners peppermint soap concentrate= bathing, toothwashing, clothes washing, dish/parts washing, etc. AND it's biodegradable, it won't cause undue harm to the natural environment.
WATER, WATER, WATER!!!
And I sure hope to heck you are taking THAT tool kit with you; If you need a tool pouch let me know I'll send one out to ya'.
You know most of this, but just a friendly reminder here ya' know!:cool:
Looks like you're pretty well prepped for fuel storage/capacity, and lights. Carry an extra spark plug or two, and a tire patch kit with tire irons, as well as two extra tubes- patch as much as you can until the tube is no longer usable then switch out. If you can carry an extra tire or two do that as well. The rear (as the driven wheel) will wear out first. swap the front to the rear and the new on the front- I found this technique to be one of my most invaluable lessons!!! Carry three sets of clothing with extra socks and undies, one set is daytime clothing, one set is night time- don't mix the two- the third is spare for when laundry day comes, then becomes your day clothes. a good flannel, and a sweater or sweatshirt for layering if needed. And of course your rainsuit!:D
I'm tryin' to remember here what worked and what didn't...
You'll need a pair of gloves- two if you got 'em one heavy for cold and one light for warm- The will greatly reduce the fatigue in your hands!!! Another important one learned out there on the road...
Spray paint (enamel) will waterproof a cardboard box if needed for a quick shelter.
the other fellas have taught me some great stuff in this thread about the national parks system and that pass sounds like the perfect ticket! I know you've got that perfect little pup tent which will pack onboard nicely. Get some fishin' line and hooks, you can find bait and fashion a pole out there.
Again I know you know most of this, but I just want to contribute and wish you the best!
Be aware in bear/cat country, exercise safe practices for food storage and garbage storage/disposal. Be aware in poisonous insect/arachnid/snake country!!! Hence the venom/snakebite kit.
If, or as, I think of more I'll post 'em.
I'm sooo into this for you bro!!! Tear it up man, finger on the trigger, and go cat go!!!!:cool:

Attachments

• Wyman 2003 213.jpg
    Wyman 2003 213.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 275
and there it is, an entire mb-traveler's manual in one post, from an original mb-traveler...Rif, yer the best, buddy.

let's be clear...while i am somewhat wilderness-adept, i'm not gonna be doing any "grizzly-man" stuff...think of me as a mini-retiree in his mini-rv...developed/improved campsites are more my cuppa tea these days.

i'm mapping out my shakedown run to mt. st. helens this weekend, and will be heading out, i think, end of the month...

more later :cool:

Cool. I hear ya' man- the older I get the less rough I wanna travel! LOL! The ol' corpse ain't what it used to be! Please do keep me posted, and like I said if you need a tool pouch let me know... Best to ya' my man!!!

thanks, rif...i'm pouched up pretty good...paying very close attention to efficiency & weight.

but, and this might be pushing my luck a bit, i'd LOVE a lil' sumpin' from your wyman-whizzer adventure...i'd be proud to sport it and prouder still to tell folks where i got it. if it happens to be a pouch, that's mighty cool by me.

btw-except for the applicable items that'll go with me, i'd like to give THE tool-kit to shane & lil when i leave...ya best believe they've earned it, the old fashioned way...with miles & smiles...does that work for you?

Last edited:
Dont forget

A metal match for starting fires .. Very useful .. lightweight small...

thanks, rif... i'd like to give THE tool-kit to shane & lil when i leave...ya best believe they've earned it, the old fashioned way...with miles & smiles...does that work for you?

I think that is perfect! And I believe it to be earned as well!!! Pass it along, share the wealth, etc. Good on ya' for that.

National Parks "Access" Pass

ya-HOO...lifetime free access for folks with disabilities!

http://store.usgs.gov/pass/access.html

you guys who've been offering survival tips, i'll be looking for recommendations on basic guides & kits...so fire away if you have favorite items or sites i should look at.

(my other outdated/moot topics have been removed...i've done what i can & i've had my say, but it's time i focused on the road ahead...i'm really gettin' pumped!)

Last edited:
because i've never been to a volcano, that's why.

boy, do i ever LOVE this bike! i did 25 miles under the stars last nite, not a single "what's that noise?"

so, i'll have to look at the budget this week, but i think we have a green light for my shakedown run. i can make it to silver lake by late afternoon (rt. 4 on the washington side is all but abandoned by cagers because oregon rt. 30 is faster) and camp overnite...take rt. 504 to the volcano (the ride back down is gonna be a blast)...another nite at silver lake, and then home again home again jiggity-jig!

http://www.mapquest.com/mq/1-fYE83oksXcJJ

(wanna freak out? zoom in on rt. 504)

Last edited:
Whoa, that last leg of 504 has got some serious swithbacks and even what looks like a hairpin loop. That must be scenic as heck. What do the the steepest grades run through there? Looks like it'll be a real rush on the return trip.

zoom way in...it's a "cloverleaf" ramp where it meets other roads...but check out the big hairpin that follows it...can you say "vertigo" ?

Back