Im new and dont have a bike yet

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by WAX, Mar 19, 2009.

1. WAX

WAX New Member

Hi I am from santa cruz and trying to figure out what kind of stuff to get to make a sweet ride. I have done mopeds before but never a motorized bike.

2. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

You can use a "first bike" as a great learning experience, then search for your ultimate frame. You'll note a lot of MBers have more than one ride, and often move the engine from one build to the next.

Take a look in Craiglist, see if you find a good cruiser style bike, which can be modified later. My advise is avoid single speeds and 3 speeds, look around for a 7 speed with wide tires.

NEW? Schwinn has new 7 speeds at around $150, the Jaguars and Pointe Beaches are 2 model names.

Next step up is the Sun's Cruz 7 and other models, about $300-400. If you google "cruiser bikes" you'll see the range of prices and models.

Ultimately, I'm hoping the California Stretch Cruiser comes out with a seven speed w/ hand brakes, the only ones I've seen are singlespeeds w/coaster brakes, and I'm NOT a fan of foot braking.

Front and rear hand brakes have always seemed safer, especially on wet roads.

3. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

welcome wax
    noticed you are located in Calif
    it's pretty cool -- here in Calif the DMV offers a motorized bicycle license plate
    there are some simple requirements to be met
    keeping everyTHING legal in Calif is always a good THING as we know
    I like the low noise 4-stroke models -- to each his own as we

ride those motor bike THINGS