I'm not sure what to call this one...

Which name fits better?

• Total voters

SimpleSimon

Local time
7:47 PM
I got a wild hair this afternoon, and kinda went a bit buggy...but now I don't know what to call the result.

So, help me choose:

A: The Iron Butterfly

B: The Banana Slug

Hmmm...pic didn't load.

Attachments

• Iron Butterfly 2.jpg
    Iron Butterfly 2.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 569
And again...

Drawing this thing up yesterday I was just going with the flow of ideas, and took no time to do any load calculations. Turns out that the unsupported base tube leading to the rear assembly pivot point just wasn't gonna cut the mustard, so I did some figuring today, and modified it a bit. With the seat tube brace extended to intersect the bottom rail, and moving the mid-drive mounting point back much closer to the pivot point, it works.

I also decided it needed some stiffening of the rear triangle as well. The basic lines of the bike remain essentially the same, with short-travel front BMX type shock forks. I'm considering what type of handlebars too give it. Suggestions?

Attachments

• Iron Butterfly 3.jpg
    Iron Butterfly 3.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 516
I guess I would just call it the Butterfly. Slick design. How will you do all those bends?
Only weakness I see is the two parallel bars going to the front, will they be bigger than shown?

I guess I would just call it the Butterfly. Slick design. How will you do all those bends?
Only weakness I see is the two parallel bars going to the front, will they be bigger than shown?
Nope. I did the math, and 3/4 inch thick wall tubing is adequate, strength wise. It isn't very clear in the second pic, but there are a couple of diagonal 1/2 cross braces between the tubes as well. Also, the shell of the BB acts as a brace between them.

Back