Impractical modes of transportation

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tinker1980, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Tinker1980

Tinker1980 Guest

I consider my MB very practical, especially for the traffic and all the new road construction popping up in Tulsa, along with trips downtown. I'm sure most of us feel our MBs are quite practical, with the mileage and ease of parking.

Question that is on my mind, out of morbid curiosity - what would any of you consider the most IMpractical way of getting around? This question popped into my head after a friend asked me about a Segway, where to buy and how much to expect to pay, would he need a license, etc.

I'd like to nominate the Segway as the most impractical mode of transportation. They cost $5500, have a range of 20 miles or so on a good day, and a top speed of about 12 MPH. And you have to stand up the whole time you're riding it.

For 1/5 the price one could have a very nice electric assist bicycle, and for about 1/10th the price you could have a decent gas powered bike. And both would be faster than 12 MPH and go farther than 20 miles!

What do you guys/gals think? What do you find less practical?

2. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Want a Segway? Build one!

I have a complete set of plans to do just that at a cost of around $200.

I think in-line skates are the most impractical form of transport, personally, but I know a guy who skates to and from home to work everyday - 8 miles one way, in the West Hills of Portland, Oregon. Claims it is almost as fast as a bicycle, and more than twice as quick as a car in rush hour traffic, and there is zero parking issues - he just gets to his office, takes off the skates, puts on his shoes.
  3. Pablo

Pablo Motored Bikes Sponsor

People who use big nearly new (we not talking po' folk) large V-8/V-10 pick-up trucks for daily commuting to city/office work.

Disclaimer: I am NOT some greenieweenie SUV hating econazi, nor am I for the government "doing SOMETHING about it". I just think unless you are picking up 4 drums of tangelo marmalade or 3 sofas on the way home, why the frick would ya drive a 10-12 mpg pick-up truck to work in the city/suburbs? Other than to show folks yours is larger. Stupidy on display.

Second would be the Smart Car, so don't get started on me. Check the MPG, and the price on that piece of excrement.
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  4. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

I like how you make everything sound so simple.I can amagine what a 200 dollar seagway looks like.
  5. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

There is impractical, and there is wasteful. Everyone has their own interpretation.

The soccer mom driving the 12mpg Expedition may think that her SUV is practical for her family because they haul a boat on the weekends or they are "being green" by packing half the soccer team in it for saturday games. (car pooling) She figures that because she needs the space and utility two days out of the week, she will compromise on fuel economy 5 days of the week where she drives it alone.

I'm kind of in the middle. (like I am on most issues) I own an SUV, but see it as wasteful to use unless I actually need the towing capability, or space to haul things. I also own a compact car, which gets used for most things like grocery shopping, etc. If I need to run an errand in town, and I can get by with a backpack, I will use my motorcycle. The MB is really just a fun thing to have. I like to joyride on some of the back roads, and take in the scenery. (It is pretty nice around my area - horse farms, etc.)

The eco-warrior will ride a bike (or other light transport like a scooter or MC) regardless of weather conditions.

The eco-weenie will do the same as the eco-warrior, but look down on people that don't think exactly like he does.

It's all about freedom of choice!
  6. loquin

loquin Active Member

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  7. Tinker1980

Tinker1980 Guest

Wow, all sorts of stuff I had not though of! I'd be willing to look at plans for a $200 segway... there is a difference, for me, between paying thousands of dollars for something or building it myself.

Smart cars are impractical? Really? I can buy one in Tulsa for $12,000 right now and they get 40 MPG. Or I can buy a Prius for $22,000-$27,000 that gets a real-world average of 40-45 MPG, and will need new batteries in 5-8 years.

Would be nice to see a diesel smart car in the US like the REST of the world can buy...

Oops, you said don't get you started.

The wheelchair looks like a good idea, the title says propane powered but the video says it runs on gasoline... Which brings me to the question - does there exist a conversion kit to make a Honda 50 run on propane? If there is I would Be in a big hurry to build a propane MB. Less oil changes, less sparkplug changes, drastically increased engine life...

8. Pablo

Pablo Motored Bikes Sponsor

I test drove a Smart and unfortunately it fails to deliver on the promise. The power is acceptable for its city mission but the transmission is terrible and you can't even get a simple 5-speed. And it costs more than a Honda Fit.

See what you did :jester:

Smart Cars REQUIRE premium fuel.

Smart cars are not $12K new here. Try closer to $18 here. Yes a Prius gets better mileage and it's a luxury car compared to a Smart Car. A Yaris gets 50 mpg for crying out loud, a Fit about the same, the tiny engine in a Smart car and it gets 40 mph?? Waaahhhaaat? I see used ones advertised at $16K and above.

Did I mention the transmissions are made out of crystaline feces?

Now if they did the turbocharged 3 cylinder diesel here, I agree. I don't get our stupid rules on such things in the USA. In real world use, the American version of the Smart car is absolutely terrible. The transmission is garbage, and the fuel economy is worse or barely any better than small cars, and those other cars have twice the room and 3 times the power.

They are semi smart for city only driving.
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  9. Tinker1980

Tinker1980 Guest

For what it's worth, I didn't know the silly little cars ran on premium. That is kinda silly, an economy car that requires the most expensive gasoline... my V-8 powered 20 year old po' boy truck only uses 87. The only car I have any experience with that needs the good stuff was my old Geo Prism GSi (yes... a high performance Geo Prism) and my wife's Grand Prix GTP. The wifey's car only gets about 21 MPG on the high dollar gasoline, but gee whiz is it fast.

Why are the Smart's so expensive where you live? Could they be more popular?

In addition to the diesel smart, I'd like to see a lot more diesel small cars... what is the deal with that. I have a feeling it's the EPA's doing that we can't have little clattering fuel efficient cars anymore.

And while I'm jacking my own thread - another thing that seems impractical. The little motor-scooters that I see around everywhere in Tulsa, They really got popular in the past few years, but have you priced them? A vespa starts at $4000 here, seen them as high as $6,000, while down the street you can buy a new Vulcan or Harley Sportster for $6,000-$6,500, and not get run over because you can't go fast enough.

10. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

I'm with you 100% with the diesels. Having owned a 50 mpg VW Rabbit Diesel in the past has shown me that diesel economy and reliability would be an asset here in America. Unfortunately, our emission standards are different from European standards - a bit tighter apparently. We should allow cars that pass Euro standards be sold here in the US - this would open up a whole new market in fun to drive small cars here in America. I test drove a 2009 Jetta TDI, and it was quiet and powerful. You really couldn't tell it was a diesel, it had very good acceleration and was capable of over 40mpg in regular highway driving. (not "granny" driving) Because of our gubmints eco-weenie hoops - many manufacturers that were going to introduce their diesels here in America scrapped their plans. (including domestics) More here.

As far as those expensive scooters go, here in NJ you need a MC license to drive a scooter. (even a 50cc!) So it's no wonder scooter sales aren't that strong. This is my next motorcycle. It is a Chinese clone of a Virago 250. (built under license, since Yamaha doesn't sell the Virago cycles here anymore) It can be had for about $2500, and is of good quality. For some, a 4K Vespa is practical, but the V-twin cruiser for $2500 is more to my liking!
  11. machiasmort

machiasmort Active Member

LOL, And you believe her??? "She figures that because she needs the space and utility two days out of the week, she will compromise on fuel economy 5 days of the week where she drives it alone."

Better hope she's alone, Them things got big back seats!!! :devilish:

I bet you believe the tint on the windows was to save money, not using the AC! :jester:

FASUV's Father's against SUV's!!!
  12. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

it is all about freedom of health care what you want to eat...but when I pass a smart car I have to look inside to see what kind of person would actually spend money on that.
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  13. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

5 star post loquin.never thought ide want to own a wheel chair:).the skateomate or whatever is dumm.
  14. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

A smart car would be practical for someone who drives less than 5 miles to work, and even then, they would probably still need a "real" car in the driveway.
  15. scokes

scokes Member

My boss has three Smart cars, and I got to drive one the other day. There is no way I would buy one. EVER. I want raw power. My first vehicle, which I still have, is a 1964 Chevy Impala SS. The kicker is he also has 2 SUV's and a couple of full size trucks that he alternates between. (must be nice to have all that money)

Anyways, back to the topic at hand. I once rode a skateboard more than 7 miles because I had no ride to work. That was terribly impractical.
  16. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

The smart cars are "carbon credits" for his SUV's and pickups.

He probably uses the golf carts when he doesn't need the capabilities of a pickup or SUV. Pretty good plan if you ask me!
  17. scokes

scokes Member

It's funny you say that. He actually DOES use a golf cart when toodleing around his property. He is also the type of person that would never use his truck for hauling or towing. He'll have a new one every two months or so.

I'll just keep riding my bike.
  18. loquin

loquin Active Member

Me either... but, if it IS ever needed, that motored version would be the way to go.:tank: