In all honesty how many miles have you gotten on your HT motor before it wears out???

Just one question.......where are you getting them for $55? I am interested.
BGF was selling replacement engines on e-bay about a year 1/2 ago or so for 55 bucks plus 15 dollors shipping and if I bought 2 they would ship it for just the one time 15 dollor shipping charge and put them in the same box....Then I found a guy on e-bay that would sell me the Raw engine kits for around 100 bucks shipped to my door....

John

Been building and riding for over six years. I only had one engine failure from failed roller bearing and haven't had an engine wear out yet. I use anywhere from 32-50 to 1 oil ratio but use a high amount of castor oil in my fuel blend. Usuing 20 to 1 of synthetic or other oil ain't gonna work to extend engine life, you need a touch of castor.

also, air filtration is very important. Stock air filter isn't up to the task to extend engine life.

Been building and riding for over six years. I only had one engine failure from failed roller bearing and haven't had an engine wear out yet. I use anywhere from 32-50 to 1 oil ratio but use a high amount of castor oil in my fuel blend. Usuing 20 to 1 of synthetic or other oil ain't gonna work to extend engine life, you need a touch of castor.

also, air filtration is very important. Stock air filter isn't up to the task to extend engine life.
Please send me a link to Castor oil....How much do you mix in with your gas and do you also mix in 2 stroke oil with the castor oil or just by its self?

John

Sorry, but you have the money to buy 7 or 8 HT's (being frugal, at a cost of $120 each) and you dont have it for a morini? You probably should do alot more research before paying for your only means of transport. There are two American options that are more affordable than a morini and they are more reliable.

That is good news to hear.
May I inquire as to the 2 American models. Thier names and/or any links that I could use as a starting point for research?
Wolud either require a custom mount?
I also recall reading here that the Japanese make bike motor kits. Yet I haven't seen much else here about them. Or their names.

Has anyone taken the time to perform an autopsy on one of these worn out motors? I expect I'll be doing about 100km a week on one of these bikes. That only translates to about 8 weeks lifespan at 500 miles. These motors look quite basic (possibly the problem) so should not be to hard to maintain.
here's a complete tear-down:
http://motoredbikes.com/album.php?albumid=808

I usually have the happytime stolen long before I can wear it out.
I am on my second GP460 cylinder liner. and my second live fast motors 40 cc engine both cost about $80.00.
I use a 20 per cent castor based lubricating oil mixed with 78 percent synthetic oil and two percent marvel mystery oil to cut the carbon.
Use a good paper air filter.

I guessing mines currently traveled ~1500km; a conservative estimate from the amount of oil it has used. Its been in use for 3 years.

However, this is mainly short start stop driving, so the wear and tear could be alot more for every mile I do compared to you guys. I leave my bike in the rain/outdoors; the engine and exhaust is rusted all over. The main issues I've encountered are in the crappy aftermarket centrifugal clutch and leaking carb.

WOT by itself isnt an indicator of abuse imho. I frequently WOT at low speed to accelerate but I never run WOT at high speeds. Theres a big big difference between running WOT when the engine is screaming and running WOT while the engine is still puttering around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, but you have the money to buy 7 or 8 HT's (being frugal, at a cost of $120 each) and you dont have it for a morini? You probably should do alot more research before paying for your only means of transport. There are two American options that are more affordable than a morini and they are more reliable.

I need to clarify, the engines are not american but the kits are. I consider them more reliable than the morini due to the 4 strokes available. (My opinion......to have a disscussion on 4 stroke versus 2 stroke please start a new thread.)

Data Gathering

From a scientific approach.......
We need to look at WHAT FAILS in this engine. Then deal with that issue first.

Everyone with a failed engine, that you have revived or given up on,
PLEASE, tell us what went wrong with your engine so we can improve it.
®

Back