Industrial bike

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Glenn M, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Glenn M

Glenn M New Member

Has anyone built a MB out of one of these? Industrail Bicycle

With their strength and looks, it my be a good starting point for an interesting build.

2. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

No Glen -- never even heard of them back when I owned my bicycle shop
    saw a lot of brands come in for repair

they are claiming (strong) ------- looks good

thinking about MB #2 ------- another thought here maybe -- thank you

Happy Riding from - Mountainman

3. Glenn M

Glenn M New Member

I've seen them in auto company plants and they are built heavy duty. Look similar to this, don't you think? Pierce Arrow

4. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

yes -- both bikes are very nice -- reminding me of the same era

and I wish to thank you
    the old Pierce-Arrow Company

when my buddy and I owned our bicycle shop back in the 70s
    grandpa brought us something kind of special one day
    at a swap meet he had bought for 25 dollars
    Pierce-Arrow racing track bicycle -- wooden wheels -- perfect condition
    ended up in some museum -- I heard..

anyway -- thanks for the food for thought here
    and remember to always ----
    Ride That Thing - Mountainman

5. softride

softride Member

industrial

I used a Sun industrial bicycle for my kit theres some pis in the link
    Royz

6. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2008
  7. butch27

butch27 Guest

I agree it's Worksman.!

8. Glenn M

Glenn M New Member

After further research, It looks to me, that Industrial bicycle is an outlet store and sells both Workman and Husky brand bicycles.

9. Torques

Torques Guest

You'd never get a motor in there would you? With that crossbar brace, I don't believe any motor would fit except a rear mounted engine.

10. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

I think that with some work, maybe a custom mount, I could get a Honda GXH50 in there- and a nice sheetemetal tank between the bars to boot.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2008
  11. Glenn M

Glenn M New Member

I called Workman, From the the top of the Bottom Bracket to the bottom of the the cross bar is 11.5" on the 18" curved top bar frame. So from what I've read, you need at least 11" to install a HT engine, in a frame. So it should fit.

12. DougC

DougC Guest

I posted this once before but I'll drop it again here: I bought a 20" Worksman and at me being 6'2", the 20" frame was WAY too small. Going by "conventional fit" standards, a person my height would need a frame about 23.5 inches.

Somebody else wanted to know if a HT engine would fit in the 20", and I had most of it left in one piece, so I photographed it with a couple yardsticks laid down.
    http://www.norcom2000.com/users/dcimper/assorted/inanities/recumbent/general/stuff/common.html
    I do not know how the 18" frame compares to the 20", as far as space inside the front triangle.

HTH
    ~

13. flying cycletruck

flying cycletruck New Member

ht will work on a low gravity worksman

I am putting a HT on a "low gravity" worksman (cycle truck, 20 inch front 26 rear, big basket). It fits fine though I had to make a different rear mount and will have to make a different intake manifold to keep the carb level.

14. Glenn M

Glenn M New Member

These bikes aren't built for high efficiency touring, so I don't think the typical fit standards apply. I just thought the looks of the bike and the heavy duty construction, could make a good starting point for maybe an early 20th century motor bike style, build. Something like this. bike

15. mikem

mikem Member

Industrial Strength MB

I've been thinking about an industrial strength MB too. After all, if you add the cost of heavy spoked wheels and a good, big seat to the cost of a "regular" $150 bike you're getting close to the cost of the "Worksman" type bike. Would be glad to hear some more input on this.

16. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

I think it would be a great idea. I bought a flea market bike, then added a bunch of quality components- truth is, if I had started with one of these with drum brakes, I may have come out money ahead.