Indy 500 festival Mini-Marathon

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HoughMade, May 5, 2008.

1. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

9 of us from my firm went to Indianapolis to participate in the 500 Festival Mini-Marathon. It is a half marathon of 13.1 miles. About 35,000 people participate.

On Friday evening, we went to a pasta dinner that was available to the runners; 8 from our team attended- the tables seated 10 and and one runner none of us knew came and sat with us. He was very friendly and talkative. He is a professional runner from....no surprise here- Kenya. We all talked with him about the event and his racing experience- we asked him his normal half marathon time.

His answer: "About 60."

Minutes?

"Yes"

"Wow, that's fast"

Only later did we remember the winner last year did it in about 1 hour, 4 minutes.

Our dinner companion's name was Valentine Orare.

The next morning- up bright and early, we added ourselves to the mass of humanity in the first picture below.

Can you see me? I'm a little more than 3/4 of the way back on the right- in the orange shirt.

Well- all of our group completed the race.

The route starts in downtown Indy and goes out to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and around the track once. At the same time, that is the most exciting and worst part of the course. It is neat to be there and see everything, but there is no wind, it is always warmer, and it seems to go on forever.

Anyhoo- remember Valentine Orare, our dinner companion?

He is in the second picture, the one on the left. They officially declared it a tie for first and he was one of the champions. That was pretty neat. I don't have dinner with elite runners from Kenya that often.

I am planning on doing it for a third time next year. By the way- we had a team name: "Lactic Acid Trip".

I would recommend this or something like it to anyone- it is a great experience!

Attached Files:

2. HEY! HE WON! LOOK AT HIS ARMS!
    Look at how tired the other guy is.

That's too awesome! Did you tell him about MBc?
    I bet Happy Times are pretty common in Kenya.

You look cool on that first pic.

3. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

hahaha...thats funny!!

thanks for sharing...that's quite a run!!
    13 mph....WOW!!

4. quay1962

quay1962 Guest

pretty cool!

5. Zev0

Zev0 Member

Dang, the one guy's arms are so long, he could scratch his knees without bending down.. WOW!!

6. ozzyu812

ozzyu812 Member

13 mph is what i avg on my unpowered bike to work and back! That is truly amazing!

7. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

That's about a 4:48 per mile.

Those guys were done, showered, been to the arirport, made it through security, and in the air halfway to their next race by the time I finished.

8. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

To average that, I would need a job that is downhill both ways. :cry:

9. ozzyu812

ozzyu812 Member

Its downhill one-way, I live in the heights and work is in a flood plane.