Inexpensive but comfortable bicycle for 2 stroke motor?

Discussion in 'Spare Parts, Tools & Product Developement' started by rumme, Jun 12, 2008.

1. rumme

rumme Member

I just purchased the boygofast - 2stroke 80 cc engine off ebay with pull start.

Can anyone suggest a comfortable but inexpensive brand of bicycle that will allow my engine to easily mount on, and will fit my 6ft 4 " height fairly well ?

This will be mostly for riding flat roads and some gravley/rock backroads up in the mountains of arkansas. I have a local wal mart near me, but wasnt sure if they sold a bicycle that would fit my needs.

Id also consider a adult tricycle to mount this motor on in the near future and was wondering if anyone knew of a decent priced adult tricycle that workded well with these 80c.c - 2 stroke engines...I like the idea of not having tp put my feet down at every red light/ stop sign, etc...Thanks....

2. artmaker

artmaker Member

Bookmarking this thread, I've been looking at those same motors for awhile.
    Be interested in learning the same thing you asked.
  3. go to walmart and get cruiser bike.
  4. artmaker

artmaker Member

Ok, what about gears? Would a five speed be a problem? (Thinking about when the motor is not on. Real peddle power.) Or do you need an old single speed?

What about breaks? Coaster needed? Hand? Hand ONLY no coaster at all?
    Never having mounted a motor I don't know if that coaster arm is a problem.

Even saw one bike at walmart with a disk break. Guessing that would be a nightmare to install a motor around.

What do you do with those odd shape frames? The ones with the wide flat tube? Stear clear of those???

Looking at the old fashion schwinn style. (Wide tires, springy wide seat, fenders! I like fenders! Mountain bikes never have those.)
  5. rumme

rumme Member

those walmart bikes look like a good option, and they are very inexpensive....but they dont have any type of comfortable suspensions/ shocks......I have a bike now that my motor is mounted on, that doesnt have suspension and its a very bumpy ride if you have to travel over older roads or gravel type roads/ backroads.

I was hoping for something that was more comfortable , even if it meant spending a bit more money for my 6ft 4" height
  6. Butch

Butch Guest

I haven't tried the Schwinn Searcher yet but have heard it's a good choice for mounting a HT motor. They have front suspension and you could always add a suspension seatpost for an even more comfortable ride. I believe they are sold by K mart and Sears stores. Good luck with your build.
  7. eljefino

eljefino Member

It's funny you got the pull start; usually that is for people with some sort of jackshaft/ freewheel arrangement. The "stock" setup is a clutch popping jump start, that is actually very easy... so easy I kill the motor coasting down to an intersection then restart it as I'm reaccellerating.

You are correct about front frame tube size and the desire to have it be a narrow diameter and mostly round. People drill holes in the larger tubes and for me that would make me nervous.

There is a huge thread about the kaluna moon dog, a 7 speed cruiser sold for $100 at walmart. I can vouch for them; the "cheap" steel does a great job deadening various odd vibrations a one-lunger motor can make. Cruiser style bikes are great for big people because you bend over less to reach the handlebars and get to see the world.

You may also find a single speed huffy cruiser at WM for ~$85; it is hard to get over the ghetto-welfare name association that everyone sneers at with the huffy name. One does wish to have a slightly quality bike considering the speed and abuse it will see daily. IDK if the stickers peel off as easily as they did from my KMD. ;)
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  8. rumme

rumme Member

well it s actually a dual start

pull start and pop start like you mention..

i wanted back up pull start in case i use the motor to build a go cart
  9. rumme

rumme Member

do they make an adult trike that has shocks/ suspension ? Id like to put one of these motors on a 3 wheel bike...
  10. artmaker

artmaker Member

11. artmaker

artmaker Member

HEY, just occured to me. What do you folks do about breaks once you put the clutch on one handle? Is there a way to make one handle operate both breaks?
  12. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

13. artmaker

artmaker Member

wow great~! Thanks. I hate it when people post "you need to search before asking." But it really really helps when you put the direct link there. I only read a few posts and already learned a few things.
    For one thing, I need to find out what kind of breaks that bike I want has. Cant' tell from the picture, it states "linear pull" Cant' tell from the picture but it looks like the right kind. And it seems that spookytooth site will be the place to go for parts. Gosh I wish I could afford to just buy one of their bikes all ready to ride. Not in the cards though. One thing at a time.
  14. eljefino

eljefino Member

linear pull= brake pad levers stick straight up, cable jacket ends at one, cable at the other, cable pulls the two together. Real popular now.
  15. GasKicker

GasKicker Member

From Wal-Mart, the Kulana Moondog is a good choice for around $106.

For around $160 a much better bike would be the Schwinn Point Beach from WM. (It's worth the extra money).

Don't even think about the single speed Huffy Cruiser. I built one for a friend. It was a difficult install and he's had a lot of problems with the bike itself. Just broke a chain yesterday! (I'll never ty another coaster brake bike.)
  16. ozzyu812

ozzyu812 Member

I'm 6'3"

I'm 6'3" myself. Any bike you get you will need 5" rise handle bars and a long seat post.
    Search for "Pyramid Mountain Bike Riser Handlebar, 5" Rise, Alloy, Black" at Amazon $15.28. I got the my aluminum seat post at my local bike shop Goodall's for $11.
    Avoid the "Next" bikes
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  17. artmaker

artmaker Member

Hey! This is the very bike I want to get! Walmart had it in stock last weekend, so I got to look at it close up. (Didn't sit on it, never EVER anyone to be found to help there. And of course it was up on the high rack. I hate walmart!)

Well I WILL probably want to get a suspension fork, probably will want to raise the seat, mainly I wanted to look at the breaks. What I read so far, I think these are ok. The side pull thing. I read somewhere that is what can be converted to single break handle. Not the center pull. (I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.)

What I was really disappointed by were the wheel rims. Thin aluminum. Gees, why make an old style bike, and not use the old steal rims that used to come on them??? I think the bike alone is going to run into some bucks. Bike, fork, possibly seat post, redo breaks, and possibly maybe new rims? (or wait till I bash the aluminum ones, then get rims.)

I'll be lucky if I get the bike half of this equation this year, work on the motor next. But yea, this is the one I picked.
    Agh, I wish there were jobs for dandy artists around here!
    Freelancing blows.
  18. GasKicker

GasKicker Member

Good choice going with the Schwinn.
    My Advise, (for what it's worth):
    1) Get the bike running first before blowing your mind (and money) on modifications. The point beach was a relatively easy install and has provided me with a very smooth and virtually trouble free ride. I did put a dual brake lever on mine ($15 at the local bike shop).
    2) Before attempting to install the motor, double check everything. Set your brakes and check every nut and bolt on the bike to make sure they are not too loose or too tight. (Wal-mart assemblers typically just put bikes together well enough for display purposes. Not road ready).

Good luck and happy motorin' :)
  19. Huffy Re-bike. They don't sell them any more, but you might be able to find a used one. That's what I'm going to use. The advantages, solid square steel frame, steel wheels, large recumbent seat with backrest, low center of gravity, upright seating position, very comfy. Disadvantages, 40 lbs, 16" front wheel, low quality components.
  20. mark2yahu

mark2yahu Member

After Christmas, go to Walmart and get the 24 inch Huffy single-speed cruiser for eighty bucks. Where I live, they always park the clearance bikes outside the garden center. Some are as low as fifty bucks.