Inexpensive Electric motorized bicycle parts

My main issue with #25 chain is that it doesn't match up with the bike's stock sprocket. It's either a case of changing the motor sprocket to a bike sprocket or change the bike wheel sprocket to #25. Either way can be a challenge.

Well...as i mentioned TNC Scooters sell the appropriate sprockets so no need to now, i actually grabbed one myself and tried it out on my trike...lasted one trip around the block before reverting back to the #25 night and day difference in the noise...I can see though with a more "stock" instal it would be an issue luckily i didnt have this my motor/drive sprocket are separate from the bicyle chain drive side...:)

KiM

Good they have lots more controllers motors chains and throttles.
If any body knows of similar prices on electric bike parts post them Please.

Not so good.

I wanted that motor.

I had already bookmarked the page...

Finally had the money... And believe it or not, was about to go order it. LOL

I swear, I was about to order it, and had clicked here to check this thread out, first.

=0)

Realized your link was familiar, clicked on it.. and... Sold out !

Yikes !!

Next best is only 450watts. I needed the 600 watts at least.

Next best is only 450watts. I needed the 600 watts at least.

For an "ebike" you should be okay with 450 watts if you really just want "assistance" in getting around. Professional bike racers can't even sustain 450 watts of pedal power over longer distances.

What seems to be happening is that there is an "outlaw element" that is dominating the internet where all these ebikes are being modified so that are way, way, way past legal. (it started with "Big Iron" and has now shifted to RC motors, but the problem is the same)

In America 750 watts is all you get... otherwise you become an outlaw...

So don't be so sold on all this big power talk... 450 watts can still be fun and is legal.

Also, if you are looking for low prices the big power is actually very expensive $$$. So the whole idea of the thread (low price, minimal design) doesn't fit with big power. One of the recent big power modified bikes was sold for something like $5K so it's a totally high priced area to get into.

TNCScooters offer good priced parts on the low end, but it's hard to press those brushed motors to higher levels without them falling apart. If you buy the motor and run them stock and at the rated voltage they will last a long time. I went about 3000 miles on one of the 1000 watt motors before it failed. (running it at it's stock voltage)

On the downside, once those motors fail (it's the brushes and commutators every time) they cannot be fixed so you end up being addicted to buying new motors every time they fail.

For people who just want to get started with ebikes the TNCScooters motors are a good place to start. (buy one of the motors with a built in geardown and you should be able to more or less bolt the motor to the bike and ride)

106145.gif width=50% height=50%

Note: This #420 chain sprocket is too wide for a normal bicycle chain, but it's the right groove shape... so if you can grind it down to be a little thinner it will work with bicycle chains. Or, you could buy an actual #420 chain and it will work on ordinary bicycle sprockets.

With the built in gear reducer it's best power is at 480 rpm... which means you want to have this 10 tooth sprocket mesh with your front chainring at about 48 teeth in the front. (standard sizing)

You have to decide whether you want one chain or two... two is easier to set up I think... but it's up to you to decide...

----------------------------------

The Cyclone motors are the next step up in price and quality. They are easy to install.

You also might start with a cheap hub motor as an option.

http://conhismotor.com/ProductsList.asp?iPage=1&id=113

...the Crystalyte hub motors are the higher end, but like with everything the price goes up. (From $300 to $600)

Last edited:
Lowes sells a ten foot length of #420 chain with a masterlink for less than $20.00.. I use this size on my happytime .everything else is, Too flimsy ,unavailable, or shipping is too expensive .

For an "ebike" you should be okay with 450 watts if you really just want "assistance" in getting around. Professional bike racers can't even sustain 450 watts of pedal power over longer distances.

What seems to be happening is that there is an "outlaw element" that is dominating the internet where all these ebikes are being modified so that are way, way, way past legal. (it started with "Big Iron" and has now shifted to RC motors, but the problem is the same)

In America 750 watts is all you get... otherwise you become an outlaw...

So don't be so sold on all this big power talk... 450 watts can still be fun and is legal.

Also, if you are looking for low prices the big power is actually very expensive $$$. So the whole idea of the thread (low price, minimal design) doesn't fit with big power. One of the recent big power modified bikes was sold for something like $5K so it's a totally high priced area to get into.

TNCScooters offer good priced parts on the low end, but it's hard to press those brushed motors to higher levels without them falling apart. If you buy the motor and run them stock and at the rated voltage they will last a long time. I went about 3000 miles on one of the 1000 watt motors before it failed. (running it at it's stock voltage)

On the downside, once those motors fail (it's the brushes and commutators every time) they cannot be fixed so you end up being addicted to buying new motors every time they fail.

For people who just want to get started with ebikes the TNCScooters motors are a good place to start. (buy one of the motors with a built in geardown and you should be able to more or less bolt the motor to the bike and ride)

Note: This #420 chain sprocket is too wide for a normal bicycle chain, but it's the right groove shape... so if you can grind it down to be a little thinner it will work with bicycle chains. Or, you could buy an actual #420 chain and it will work on ordinary bicycle sprockets.

With the built in gear reducer it's best power is at 480 rpm... which means you want to have this 10 tooth sprocket mesh with your front chainring at about 48 teeth in the front. (standard sizing)

You have to decide whether you want one chain or two... two is easier to set up I think... but it's up to you to decide...

----------------------------------

The Cyclone motors are the next step up in price and quality. They are easy to install.

You also might start with a cheap hub motor as an option.

http://conhismotor.com/ProductsList.asp?iPage=1&id=113

...the Crystalyte hub motors are the higher end, but like with everything the price goes up. (From $300 to $600)

Thank you very much for the excellent response/data.

My own criteria: I am fat. (280 pounds.) I am on a fixed income. (Retired.)

So, I need something that will have plenty of low end torque, for as low a cost as possible. At first, I am going to need a LOT of help to get up the steep hills, where I live.

Technical criteria: In the state of Washington, the upper limit for an electric assist motor is 1000w. And I prefer electric to ICE. First and foremost because of pollution, maintenance, cost of gas, etc. But secondly because as long as your electric motor is 1000w or less, your bike is considered and treated as a bike. No registration, legal anywhere a regular bike is legal, etc...

My biggest motivation here is to lose some weight. I have always liked riding bikes. I have built several bikes from scratch,in the past. Including building the wheels.

At this point in time, I am just looking to get my foot in the door, so to speak. I actually bought a used bike. (Gasp ! LOL Didn't build one, this time.) As a way to keep the spark of motivation, fanned.

I am still on the cusp about what to 'build'. Leaning toward a push trailer. But open to whatever I can get built up, for what I can afford. Friction drive, and/or a trike build are also on the table.

After following your links, I am actually liking the hub motors. I have a few questions...

Have you or anyone else, dealt with that company ? (conhismotor.com)

What kind of 'service' did you recieve ?

How reliable are the hub motors ? (Am I going to have to replace it often ? Do a lot of service ? Etc.)

Just how much 'help' is one of these going to give a hippo, up a hill that is near 40 degrees incline ???

What else do I need, besides the hub motor, to make this work ?

Again, thank you very much.

If you or the mods would rather I just started my own thread for all this, please let me know. (Mods: if that is the case, you can delete this.)

No ill will is intended.
This is the most bang for your buck.

It is an internal combustion 2 stroke powered solution to climbing your 40 degree Paved slope.
A 56 tooth sprocket for the rear wheel.
http://www.thatsdax.com/ENGINE_KIT_PARTS_PAGE_2.html
Buy a dax f80 engine kit.
http://www.thatsdax.com/index.html

Enjoy.
If you live in an apartment you must park 20 feet away from the building.
Lock it securely with three locks. No kidding .
I have had a motorized bicycle hacksawed in half when some one tried to steal it.
You are going to go through rims and tubes like you would not believe.
I had to go no mor flats .
Total cost is $183.99 from thats dax.

I am not concerned with going out it is coming back home that needs a lot of power.

Last edited:
Back