Inexpensive Power Mod

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by boneswood, Sep 8, 2015.

1. boneswood

boneswood New Member

11233169_10153581057140883_1048152610270488835_o (1).jpg 2 3/16'' of pipe was added from a shower head plumbing tube. Just sand the threads off of the straight end and it fits in your stock carb. Add to a cheap offset intake and you have 7.5'' from the piston to the carb, which helps these engine run efficiently and negates the need for a bottle booster. 11951510_10153581060800883_1513958954703538761_o.jpg

Timbone likes this.

2. glad you like it!
    Ive found that the shorter the intake, the better.

3. Especially with a performance exhaust.

4. Interesting chain adjuster! Tell us more!

5. butre

butre Well-Known Member

the further out you stick the weight of the carb the more force it puts on the joints. it acts like a lever. it's best to mechanically isolate the carb from the engine using rubber hose

6. butterbean

butterbean Well-Known Member

This actually gave me an idea for my carb. I'm working on a predator build with an aftermarket carb, and the angle of my intake manifold makes the carb stick out to where my legs will hit when I pedal. I was going to try cutting the manifold and sticking some pipe over or in it. But I like the hose idea better. Any particular type of hose I should look for (temperature resistant?) The manifold is separated from the engine already by a thermal baffle, if that makes any difference.

7. butre

butre Well-Known Member

intakes stay relatively cold, the only requirement is that it has to be fuel resistant.

8. butterbean

butterbean Well-Known Member

Cool, thanks.

9. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

longer intake tracts benefit low rpm power more. a small engine needs all the help it can get with low rpm power. rubber hose is best. any hose will do. I used hose that wasn't gasoline resistant and it held up just fine.
    also add in 6" of pipe in the header before the muffler. that also helps.

10. butre

butre Well-Known Member

I've used rubber hose that wasn't gasoline resistant and ended up with a squishy gross mess

11. boneswood

boneswood New Member

The chain adjuster is half a hinge attached to a plate that is welded to the frame. The roller blade wheel runs in line with the chain.

I own a welder so hose seems like too much work, and it is solid enough. Stay tuned for the next photo...

12. butre

butre Well-Known Member

solid enough is the problem. the carb needs to be mechanically isolated

13. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

agreed. the engine vibrates way too much to have a solid and long intake tube. as well as adding stress it will slosh the gas in the float bowl too much