installing a cam shaft on a honda gxh50

Discussion in '4-Stroke Engines' started by LarryOkla, May 4, 2012.

1. LarryOkla

LarryOkla New Member

I recently put a new honda gxh50 on my trike. I took the old engine apart (for the practice) and put it back together (twice). I figured out everything, except cam shaft installation. There is a registration mark on the cam shaft but no mark on the crankshaft. How do you place the cam shaft in relation to the crankshaft? thank you.

2. Barry

Barry Member

I just ordered a Swinn Trike from Walmart and would be very interested to see some pics of how you mounted the engine and fuel tank.
  3. LarryOkla

LarryOkla New Member

I've mounted it on a trike that I built myself. So, my experience could not be applied to a bicycle. Sorry. After futher inspection of the cam shaft, I did find a faint registration mark. I was then able to align the crank with the cam.
  4. Quenton Guenther

Quenton Guenther Motored Bikes Sponsor

Hi LarryOkla,

Be sure to re-adjust the lifter clearance after taking motor apart & re-assembly.

Have fun,
  5. LarryOkla

LarryOkla New Member

Thank you. Congrats on the beautiful bikes on your web site. **** Kreamer's bike has a big belt driven rear wheel pulley. Very, cool retro look. Where are people buying those? If they are making them, how so? Thank you.
  6. The_Aleman

The_Aleman Active Member

That's a Whizzer-style sheave, Larry, they aren't hard to find. Check eBay!