Installing the Staton 96oz Tank?

stringer

Local time
9:42 PM
Does any1 have any experience installing this tank on a staton friction drive?

I just got my tank in today. The instructions indicate "The mounting holes have been CNC machined in the channel" and they have not been! There is a spout at the bottom of the tank with a hole in it .... I dont see how I'm supposed to mount this on the channel with this in the way. Also, there is no fuel line to attach to this, only two lines coming from the top of the tank :censored:

Any ideas :confused:

I don't have the 96 oz tank, but I'm interested in this thread should I decide to get one. If you don't get any direct answers here, I would suggest calling David Staton and asking him on the phone.

I poured some liquid in the tank, and sure enough, it comes out of that little spout in the bottom. Yet the directions make no mention of this, and no fuel line is supplied for it. I only have two hoses coming out of the top of the tank.

And as mentioned earlier there are no holes machined into my aluminum friction U-channel.

:???::confused::???:

My channel has holes for the 2 nubs on the bottom of the tank, and for the 2 eye-bolts that hold it down. No outlet at the bottom. Just the two hoses out of the top.

oh ok thanks alaska.

well i guess im screwed. ill have to call him when i get a chance. :censored:

FWIW, statons' new batch of 96oz tanks have a 1/8" drain spout at the bottom. They were unaware of this untill I called, and they checked the rest of the stock. You'll need to plug it up somehow :/

I was thinking a self tapping screw and some silicone sealant. What do you think? :confused:

Also, the new channels do not come CNC machined for tanks. You have to drill your own. :-|

Yeah, mine didn't have the drain. Just a solid protrusion. I also had an older friction drive, without the pre-drilled holes.

The eye-bolts are supposed to hold the tank above the surface of the channel. I bought a pack of the self-adhesive clear silicone 'bumpers', stuck 6 of them on the bottom of the tank, drilled holes for the two eye-bolts and the plastic 'teat' below the tank, and barely snugged it down. The silicone feet allow some give, and there's just a tiny bit of pressure on the flanges that the eye-bolts fasten to.

Check out the photos in this post.

Last edited:
When I ordered my Staton/Subaru friction drive 2 years ago, it came with a 96 oz. tank mounted atop the channel housing. Dave's website should have the components. Drill the housing for mounting holes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back