Interesting 70 mile trip today

W

WIZARDOFOZONE

Today was my longest 'at one time' trip, 68 miles when I returned back to my driveway. You learn things over one continous long ride I think. There's a 'sweet humming spot' with these engines just like on a car or motorcycle or boat engine. Mine occurs about 27 mph, and I learned that I can tell before looking at my speedo now how fast I'm going by the engine sound.

Tightened everything and even used loctite on my original build, but a mysterous buzzing kept occurring. I finally found it on this long ride. Although the screw at the very end of the muffler can be tight, there can be a play in the washer underneith for some reason, even when testing and retesting the screw and threads action over n over. It took this trip to finally find it.

I'm cleaning the muffler out when it needs it in the future by blocking the exit hole and filling it with gasoline, because after various screws were tried when I got back, I finally decided to etch the clamshell cap and inner rim and JB Weld them together permanently.

Ca. mountain roads can be treacherous but sure teaches the quirks and pluses of coaster and caliper brakes. Stop for stop on really steep hills I'll take my caliper I added to the front over the stock coaster brake every time although for speeds at 25 to 35 the coaster really is good for the gradual long term 'drag' effect,while that final last 10 foot to stop grab seems much better and more controlled by calipers.

Although per capita, Ca. probably has more bicycle riders than most states,cagers hate us. When the bike lane runs out I noticed that just opposite the effect you get when you want an accurate track on a motorcycle, it seems easier on a bicycle to stay on the white line (sometimes thats all that's left of the bike lane on our roads here)by slowing down to 15 rather than speeding up ,at least thats what I notice on Red Peril.

Although the 'navy bean' sized dollop of grease is favored at the gear junction where they meet, I noticed I need twice that amount before it can be seen lightly slicking the drive train .... perhaps it will back up to a point where I'll need less.

In my opinion on very long mountain downhills, I found that Dac's optional push button clutch saves tired hands, and using it when the bike coasted faster than 20mph, occasionly blipping the throttle to provide oil to the engine was best for jerk and strain free long downhill performance and control.

Lastly, as my previous post discussed, I replaced Peril's 500 mile use whitewalls with black Kendra gumwalls because until a poster led me to Schawlbe's performance tires, I could find nothing in a premium whitewall except mushy $10 ones ... I'm quite suprised however in these temp Kendra All Terrains, a very fast better roll than the stock whites that were on the bike at purchase, and really changed my ability to lean left n right at high speed. Very delighted in such action for a $15 tire.

All in all a very very long sready country drive really helped me work out performance trends, bicycle tendencies, and engine preferences. And God bless blue or even red locktite especially on the 4 engine mount bolts n nuts.

thanks, Srdavo ....

I didn't think I wanted to mess with locktite on the 9 bolts at the drive sprocket and after 70 miles I really see why so many recommend checking those babies often .. they'll fool you too if you make the mistake of tightening each on down tight in the complete circle without re-checking! As each tightens it lessens the pull for its next door neighbor and I noticed I did 3 full repeat revolutions till the seated down hard.

I'm really tempted to use the lightest hold loctite but I know that as soon as I do some reason will pop up to make me have a need to remove the 9 bolts and they are a hassle enough to work on even without permatex or loctite.

I tighten in a criss-cross pattern. I end up going around the wheel, maybe a dozen times. I'll either measure or count the protruding threads, after I really squeeze the rubber mounting gaskets. I use nylocks & lock washers, or I go back & double nut all of them. Knock on wood....never a problem. I had 1 broken spoke....and It was on the pedal side.

that's a very nice write-up of your ride...i'm continually more amazed at the happy-time's endurance capabilities...

but you'll have to add 100 miles to the next one to beat what i think is the one-day happy-time record of 165 miles (at least what's posted on MBc) :)

warning: i'm considering a 220 mile ride soon :p

all original hardware and no locktite on my rear sprocket...there is a trick to tightening & you'll know when you've reached that spot, the next time you go 'round all 9 bolts will feel very even in torque 8)

glad you had a successful ride :D
I find, the more I ride, the easier it is to decipher different noises
the last time I heard a strange noise and didn't investigate immediately, I broke a mounting stud
now, I listen really well haha

my bikes sweet spot is at the same 27mph:rolleyes: she love's to run longer the ride the smoother she runs

Oil experiment

yah I noticed it ran its best after running longer too, and I'm having interesting results with playing around with the oil to gas ratio. I guess most stay with thier preffered 30 or 35 to 1 after break in but occasionally I mix up a tank of 18 or 20 to 1 just like at break in ... speed does not automatically decrease as you might think, and it gets a quietness an a 'sloppiness' that often gives me 2 to 5 mph faster .... other times I make sure I go no faster than about 18mph, but use a half tank with only an ounce to an ounce and a half .... engine gets tighter, tork goes way up, and a nice longer whine up to the limit. This trick I do real carefully however and monitor any increase in moter heat.

Back