Interesting new type of transmission

Would be good to know if it can withstand the power of our motors.. Would make it more reliable for shifting since I assume we would be running a single rear sproket with no derailleurs, similar to an automatic transmission, but manually operated. The weight would not be an issue with power assist. Reduces gear confusion as I assume it uses linear shifting due to a single control.. Should come down to cost and reliability.

It seems like a neat idea. And I'll certainly applaud them for attempting to, and possibly succeeding in, building a better mousetrap.

As 2old2learn mentioned, cost and reliability will be the deal maker or breaker.

Reliability is probably pretty certain. The likely wouldn't go to all that engineering trouble only to make something with gears that shred on use.
Of course, that has been known to happen.

My guess is that the price is steep.

German design, German steel and made in Germany. Doesn't get much better than that.

Most of the bikes that have incorporated the drive are priced at over $5,000 US. The bike manufacturer has to design a new frame around the drive transmission. They already have electric versions of these being built. I like the concept...... but until they can incorporate it into a traditional bottom bracket, its market will be limited to highend buyers of custom bikes.

$5k is a HUGE price tag for a bike. I could probably get a good used car for far less. I looked at their 29er frame and that's 4k alone. I don't understand why some bikes are over priced like that. I've seen a couple of basic looking 29er mountain bikes that don't look all that special go for $2k to $3k at my local bike shop. I understand if it was made in Germany or even maybe America but I think $1k is the maximum price anyone would want to pay for a bike so long as it's not china made or something.

For the right need the price could be Justified. For most of us who plan to use these motorized bikes for basic minnimal transportation or as toys, it becomes hard to justify that cost. A world record attempt, a ride from the southern tip of south America to Gnome, Alaska, etc might justify that cost, but to just use it as a drop vehichle for my outdoor hobbies and around town would push my wifes tolerance limits for my spending on "Toys". A mans got to know his limits!

Back