Interesting tensioner setup I've been tinkering with

bikejock

Local time
9:43 AM
I have been tinkering with ways to make the tensioner clamp more sturdy to prevent the clamp from going into my spokes. IMG_4481.jpg
Here's how it looks. I used some parts I found in my garage so it mounts on both the upper rear stay and the chain stay. It's pretty sturdy because I used good quality heavy duty bolts and lock nuts on everything. It holds together great after 40 miles with no problems & maintains perfect tension.

If anyone has other interesting ideas for tensioner setups show me yours.

that's the way it was often done 5 or 6 years ago before the kit parts, and info about how to do it got a lot better - now, few folks have any problems with tensioners

Thanks. Took a while to get this thing on there but thanks to those locknuts I don't have to worry about going back to it and tightening them after a certain amount of miles. I saw a similar tensioner set up phantom bikes had that was a one piece clamp that mounted to both stays with a few brackets but they don't seem to sell them anymore. Also thinking of getting a sprocket idler later down the road. The nylon wheel seems to be holding up well so far. My chain only came a little loose once but nothing broke or fell off so far.

Spiffy!

That inner tube between the clamp and chain stay is an issue.
You want metal to metal tight.

If it won't get tight lay the small mount on some concrete and whack it couple times with a big hammer to flatten that out a bit, it will get tight.

My chain tensioner wheel bolt is now stripped.
Solution.

Moved the wheel alllll the way down, pushed the chain tensioner allll the way back. and tensioned the chain. Now it rests metal on metal and never ever moves.

Havent had to touch it since.

All this extra metal is a waste of time if you ask me.

Spiffy!

That inner tube between the clamp and chain stay is an issue.
You want metal to metal tight.

If it won't get tight lay the small mount on some concrete and whack it couple times with a big hammer to flatten that out a bit, it will get tight.

It holds up just fine even with rubber between the clamps. I use a little rubber on clamps because I'm trying to preserve the frame because it's a rare Dyno frame. The lock nuts I use hold everything together very well. put 40+ miles on it and have had no problems the way it is. I have everything as tight as it can get now.

The reason I wanted to try it this way is because I had a bad experience where the clamp went into my spokes on my old 2 stroke bike.

The parts I used for the clamp and bracket that attach to the upper rear stay were off of a rear cargo rack I had That didn't seem to go on the bike well with my direct drive. My chain was catching on the hardware that held the rear rack on. I think I found a better rear rack that shouldn't interfere with my rear drive & fit my Topeak bag I want to use.

Back