Intresting info about board tracks.

Discussion in 'Antique Motorized Bicycles' started by JosephGarcia, May 20, 2007.

1. JosephGarcia

JosephGarcia Guest

2. Yes! Someone uploaded the first again, the link I had was removed. Its some of the only footage I've found with the bikes running recently.

3. JosephGarcia

JosephGarcia Guest

Yeah, it's pretty awesome to see those smoke trails behind the bikes.

4. JosephGarcia

JosephGarcia Guest

Found this website, the blog/story/gallery/whatever thing of a guy who built a replica of a Excelsior OHC board track from scratch. engine and all. Pretty neat and informational. He originally wanted to recreate a Cyclone like I did, haha.

http://flashbackfab.com/pages/excel00.html

Pretty neat, all from scratch.

5. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

6. JosephGarcia

JosephGarcia Guest

I saw that topic and purposely didn't put that website into this topic, Interesting as it is.

7. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

i'd forgotten all about it til i saw this one...i thought the video related trivia twist would fit in, my bad.

8. JosephGarcia

JosephGarcia Guest

Oh no, I didn't want to add a site to this that has been in another topic. I wasn't thinking, It can be in here, of course. I just thought of starting a new topic instead of adding to an old one... I seem to have a bad habit of that. Well this one has more stuff so maybe we should just add to it?

9. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

heck yeah, that was what i was doing, adding to this one. that was just something interesting i found one night :)

i've had some pretty interesting convos with wavygravy (obviously over a cold one or two) about bringing back the track for our "happy times" to run on 8)

10. JosephGarcia

JosephGarcia Guest

11. JosephGarcia

JosephGarcia Guest

12. OldPete

OldPete Guest

British motorcycle Historian Stephen Wright produced two very well recieved books that are now out of print.
    American Racer, 1900-1940 (1979) and American Racer, 1940-1980 (1986)... I own both and did meet the author at a motorcycle concours up in Visalia, CA in the late '80s. He owned TWO Cyclones at the time I met him. A full on racer and a streetable model. The motors were way ahead of their time, fully ball 'n roller bearing with straight cut bevel geared OHCs opening 4 valves per cylinder.
    Thank God he did not worship at the HD alter :razz: but offers a truely balaced presentation in both volumes.
    JG, locate and buy these books if you can. There is a webpage out there with a petition for a reprint of these books. The text is short and to the point..The pics are to die for...

Another volume worth consideration would be Allan Girdler's (HD Sportster freek) The Harley-Davidson and Indian Wars. I have a signed copy. Hell of a nice guy and just as deaf as I am and for close to the same reasons (open pipes and load work enviroments).