Intro and cry for help

Lilburn JAC

Local time
5:56 PM
I am an old fart newbie. Retired and hoping to travel. Am "thrifty", wanting to keep costs down, but not at the expense of good quality, durability, etc.

Live in suburban Atlanta, so first trips would likely be in the countryside outside ATL, and then trying the North Georgia, Western North Carolina mountains. Hoping to camp out along the way in an enclosed, very light Warbonnet hammock. Am I realistic in thinking a motorized bike could handle these hills, while hauling me and my gear?

I'd like to put my own bike together, using a sturdy frame (any suggestions?) and a Honda 4 stroke engine. Good/bad idea?

Once I get all the kinks worked out, would like to go to Europe in late summer, early fall in 2012 with my bike and camp out about half the time (my wife, who will be with me on her own mb, insists on this. Something about me starting to stink after a while;-). Any suggestions about shipping the mbs over and regulations about use in Europe?

Thanks for considering this.

Welcome to MBc. You are on the right track with the 4 Stroke. You have several very good one ones to choose frome...I prefer the Robin-Subaru EH035. It is not always the Size (displacement, HP, etc.) that makes the difference. Mostly it is the gearing. You are going to have to do a lot of reading, research, and ask a lot of questions. Everything is here. Just read, read, and read...Use our search feature. Then, Ask Questions. Good Luck, and I'm sure a sturdy 2-wheeler and a 4-stroke engine can get you anywhere.

Back