Intro/My Bike/Help

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by jraice, Dec 16, 2007.

1. jraice

jraice Guest

Hey guys, I stumbled accros this forum and wow I am amazed there is a group for something like this which I just recently discovered.

I have ridden an electric bike and its great, being able to accelerate out of corners is awesome.

But I want some more power.

Attached are pictures of a "racing" road bike from way back in the day that I was hoping can be modified to work with one of these kits.

I was looking into King Motor Parts 80cc kit but the ThatsDax kit looks very nice as well.

Obviously I will need new flat handlebars to allow these kits to work, correct? What will that cost and what should I look for when picking a new one out...

Also Ill be replacing the flat tires and worn brakes for max grip and brake power.

Cant wait to get envolved in this group!

Jordan Raice

Attached Files:

2. beast775

beast775 Guest

welcome to mbc:grin:i wont go into details here ,but i use old 10 speed frames,the motors mount great in them.for happy time setups.
  3. jraice

jraice Guest

Happy times setups?

So any tips (I understand these are more generic bike questions, but you guys know your bikes) on brakes, tires (more grip for braking and cornering, obviously they are thin on this bike) and most important regular flat handbars so I can mount a throttle.

And then, motor kit?

Wow this is going to be fun :)
  4. jraice

jraice Guest

The bike is my dads, he told me he would love to have me fix it up (tires and brakes) and ride it but has said he is not interested in the motor powered aspect now...

He has a harley! I thought he'd like the idea! ;)

So now I need to buy a bike or use the small mountain bike I have (I'd rather not, gears are a piece of work and like I said its a bit to small)...

So I am looking to buy a bike on craigslist.

So, what would be a good route to go?

This was interesting...

Front brake only but with these tires the back really does nothing but locks up, single gear (not an issue really with the motor, is it?) and I am sure its much lighter...

Also it already has the flat handlebars I need :)

What should I like for and whats a reasonable price?

Cheaper, multi speed,

Also mountain bike hybrid....

One of my worries is that when riding my dads bike I noticed it takes bumps VERY harshly, could be bad with added speed...
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2007
  5. beast775

beast775 Guest

look around

all your questions are answered on the would be about 6 hrs of typing for me to sum up everything for you, and its useless to do,the more you look the more answers youll start lookin:grin:the raleigh mntn is your best bet
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2007
  6. locoWelder

locoWelder Guest

Welcome to MBc, please dont put a motor on that sweet roadie,back in it's day (early 80's) Lance would have trained on it with pride, go with your idea and get a bike from a yard sale or somewhere.
  7. azbill

azbill Active Member

welcome to MBc ! :D
    read all you can and your build will go easier
  8. Scottm

Scottm Guest

Welcome to MBc. Read and also spend time in the picture gallery and see all the different handlebars we use.
    Good luck.
  9. iRide Customs

iRide Customs Member

Welcome to the group!
  10. Abeagle

Abeagle Guest

Welcome to MBc.
  11. jraice

jraice Guest

Okay guys that bike is not happening now but I want to find something on craigslist...

Is a road bike the way to go?

Should I get a multi gear? I see a few single gear bikes, kinda neat...

I mean I know from petaling that my road bike destorys a regular mountain bike, even one with the smaller road bike tires... But when an engine is involved, does the road bike still have an advantage?

I understand Ill likely have to search for those answers but here is a question that is a bit more difficult to search for...

I recently road an eletric (e) bike... Pretty fast, it had the motor in the frame in a contained clean looking box. Didnt catch the type. On hill sit was very slow, i could probably out pedal it (steep hill) and downhill it was very fast. The engine's throttle appeared not to be just on/off but the power delivery was very close to an on/off switch, not a ton of difference...

Anyways now that you may understand what I road, how will a 48cc (or 70-80cc, as Ill likely get the Thats Dax 70cc or King Motors 80cc engine) compare to that bike?
  12. dbigkahunna

dbigkahunna Guest

Glad you found the tribe. Look around the forum and post your questions in the proper place. Welcoem to MBc from the Giant Side of Texas!
  13. mickey

mickey Guest

Welcome aboard.
  14. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Welcome to MBc. Like Beast said, that MTB looks good.
  15. Bertsimon

Bertsimon Guest

16. jraice

jraice Guest

Hey guys!

I have to get my parents on board to the idea of the motor bike but here is the bike I am REALLY liking and considering...

Mountain bike but with the road bike style frame (will this be an easy frame mounted motor job?)... Also has new tires that are more road oriented, and not to expensive for a nice setup...

So do you guys agree that this is the way to go?

I am starting to read about frame strength etc... and getting somewhat worried at seeing pictures of broken frames... And the thought of the engine randomly seizing due to a frame issue is pretty scary...

How will this one work? No mod's necessary?