Introducing Myself

Bradford

Local time
3:14 AM
Hello, I just became a new member of MotoredBikes.com and have been asked to introduce myself. My name is Brad. I'm in Laguna Beach, CA. I have not yet purchased my first gas-powered bicycle because I first want to learn more about them. Two months ago, I visited a motorized beach cruiser bicycle sales store / service shop that sells beach cruiser bicycles with either 2-stroke or 4 - stroke engines. The owner / salesman / mechanic told me the motorized beach cruisers with the 4 - stroke engine is more reliable and the engine lasts longer than the two - stroke engine. I then visited a bicycle shop that does not sell motorized bicycles and the owner / service mechanic told me that gas powered bicycles have two common problems; he said the way the drive sprocket attaches to the rear wheel, places too much stress on the spokes and the hub, eventually causing a breakdown. He also said the bearings of the rear wheel prematurely wear out because that type of wheel bearing, axle / hub were not designed to go above 25 miles an hour.
He then told me that the brakes wear out prematurely because the gas powered beach cruiser bicycles do not use disc brakes. He said all these common problems with gas powered beach cruiser bicycles could be eliminated if all the parts associated with the desgin flaws were replaced with parts designed properly for a gas powered bicycle with a maximum speed of 30 m.p.h. I then visited a moped rental / sales / & service shop in town. I explained to the owner / salesman / service mechanic that I wanted to be able to pull a six to eight foot aluminum bike cargo trailer behind a gas powered bicycle or a moped. He showed me his Tomos brand mopeds which only use 2-stroke engines, but he commented that Tomos uses heavy-duty, thick walled cylinder heads and heavy-duty 2-speed automatic gear transmission design on their moped engines. He told me a Tomos 2-stroke engine would out perform and outlast any four stroke engine on any moped brand or on any gas powered bicycle. I must say that when he showed me his Tomos mopeds, the engines did look bigger than other brand two-stroke engines of the same power displacement. He also pointed out that the Tomos mopeds have disc brakes, turn signals, a brake light, and a head light.
If a gas powered bicycle store mechanic could modify the rear sprocket / hub / spoke attachment design problem or replace it with a reliable design and sell me a gas powered bicycle with disc brakes, I would be willing to make do with a 4-stroke beach cruiser motorized bicycle to pull a six to eight foot bicycle cargo trailer made and sold by Bikes At Work Inc. Not having any experience or knowledge of gas powered bicycles or mopeds, I really don't know what would be best or more reliable, a 4 stroke beach cruiser bicycle or a 2-stroke Tomos moped? What would MotoredBikes.com suggest?
The aluminum cargo trailers made and sold by Bikes At Work Inc. are designed to pull from 300 to 500 pounds behind a non-motorized bicycle, but can legally be attached and used to pull cargo behind a gas / electric powered bicycle or a moped in a bike lane, as long as the rider is wearing a motorcycle helmut and has an M2 license required in some areas. Please advise me what would be best for what I want to do.

Welcome to the forum. Brake pads and rear wheel bearings are pretty easy and inexpensive to change. A good quality wheel will not suffer damage from the clamp on rear sprocket if it is installed correctly. A wheel from a bargain basement bike will require spoke maintenance.

New member Bradford needs advice from MotoredBikes.com

Hello, I just became a new member of MotoredBikes.com and have been asked to introduce myself. My name is Brad. I'm in Laguna Beach, CA. I have not yet purchased my first gas-powered bicycle because I first want to learn more about them. Two months ago, I visited a motorized beach cruiser bicycle sales store / service shop that sells beach cruiser bicycles with either 2-stroke or 4 - stroke engines. The owner / salesman / mechanic told me the motorized beach cruisers with the 4 - stroke engine is more reliable and the engine lasts longer than the two - stroke engine. I then visited a bicycle shop that does not sell motorized bicycles and the owner / service mechanic told me that gas powered bicycles have two common problems; he said the way the drive sprocket attaches to the rear wheel, places too much stress on the spokes and the hub, eventually causing a breakdown. He also said the bearings of the rear wheel prematurely wear out because that type of wheel bearing, axle / hub were not designed to go above 25 miles an hour.
He then told me that the brakes wear out prematurely because the gas powered beach cruiser bicycles do not use disc brakes. He said all these common problems with gas powered beach cruiser bicycles could be eliminated if all the parts associated with the desgin flaws were replaced with parts designed properly for a gas powered bicycle with a maximum speed of 30 m.p.h. I then visited a moped rental / sales / & service shop in town. I explained to the owner / salesman / service mechanic that I wanted to be able to pull a six to eight foot aluminum bike cargo trailer behind a gas powered bicycle or a moped. He showed me his Tomos brand mopeds which only use 2-stroke engines, but he commented that Tomos uses heavy-duty, thick walled cylinder heads and heavy-duty 2-speed automatic gear transmission design on their moped engines. He told me a Tomos 2-stroke engine would out perform and outlast any four stroke engine on any moped brand or on any gas powered bicycle. I must say that when he showed me his Tomos mopeds, the engines did look bigger than other brand two-stroke engines of the same power displacement. He also pointed out that the Tomos mopeds have disc brakes, turn signals, a brake light, and a head light.
If a gas powered bicycle store mechanic could modify the rear sprocket / hub / spoke attachment design problem or replace it with a reliable design and sell me a gas powered bicycle with disc brakes, I would be willing to make do with a 4-stroke beach cruiser motorized bicycle to pull a six to eight foot bicycle cargo trailer made and sold by Bikes At Work Inc. Not having any experience or knowledge of gas powered bicycles or mopeds, I really don't know what would be best or more reliable, a 4 stroke beach cruiser bicycle or a 2-stroke Tomos moped? What would MotoredBikes.com suggest?
The aluminum cargo trailers made and sold by Bikes At Work Inc. are designed to pull from 300 to 500 pounds behind a non-motorized bicycle, but can legally be attached and used to pull cargo behind a gas / electric powered bicycle or a moped in a bike lane, as long as the rider is wearing a motorcycle helmut and has an M2 license required in some areas. Please advise me what would be best for what I want to do.

Back