Introduction Thread

Mr moe

Local time
2:00 AM
Hi everyone this is my introduction thread. I live in California and the following is something I reprinted from the California vehicle code and carry with me when ever I'm out ridding because the majority of police officers don't know exactly how to interpret the law pertaining to we bikers.

Motorized Bicycle :
4016. (a) A motorized bicycle described in subdivision (b) of Section 406 shall meet the following criteria:
(1) Comply with the equipment and manufacturing requirements for bicycles adopted by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (16 C.F.R. 1512.1, et seq.) or the requirements adopted by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (49 C.F.R. 571.1, et seq.) in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966 (15 U.S.C. Sec. 1381, et seq.) for motor driven cycles.

(2) Operate in a manner so that the motor is disengaged or ceases to function when the brakes are applied, or operate in a manner such that the motor is engaged through a switch or mechanism that, when released, will cause the motor to disengage or cease to function.

(b) All of the following apply to a motorized bicycle described in subdivision (b) of Section 406:

(1) No person shall operate a motorized bicycle unless the person is wearing a properly fitted and fastened bicycle helmet that meets the standards described in Section 21212.

(2) A person operating a motorized bicycle is subject to Sections 21200 and 21200.5.

(3) A person operating a motorized bicycle is not subject to the provisions of this code relating to financial responsibility, driver's licenses, registration, and license plate requirements, and a motorized bicycle is not a motor vehicle.

(4) A motorized bicycle shall only be operated by a person 16 years of age or older.
231. A bicycle is a device upon which any person may ride, propelled exclusively by human power through a belt, chain, or gears, and having one or more wheels. Persons riding bicycles are subject to the provisions of this code specified in Sections 21200 and 21200.5.

. VC Section 21200.5 - Riding Bicycle Under Influence of Alcohol or ...
... Riding Bicycle Under Influence of Alcohol or Drugs. 21200.5. Notwithstanding Section 21200, it is unlawful for any person to ride ...

All of that applies to an electrically motorized bicycle.
If yours burns gas, the rules are very different.
CVC406b applies to gas powered MB's.
Alot of law enforcement are just now learning the rules and there is plenty of confusion on the streets.
Your information was taken from CVC406a (Electric only)
Here is a copy of it.
It is a PDF file you can print out and carry with you if you want to.
I am still trying to find one of CVC406b. ........ :(

Attachments

• CVC406a _for_Electric-Motorized_Bicycles.pdf
    61.3 KB · Views: 128
Back