Is a centrifugal clutch any good?

Redneck in China

Local time
3:25 PM
I hope I'm not asking a question that was answered somewhere else, but I couldn't find anything in a search.

I'm interested in a 2-stroke with a centrifugal clutch. The question is: are they any good? Does the clutch grab well enough to keep from slipping going up a hill ok?

Does the centrifugal clutch eliminate the need to use the manual clutch? Does it work like an automatic tranny in a car as far as starting and stopping goes? I plan on using an SBP shift kit too if that makes any difference in your answer.

Thanks,
Mark

Mark,
Yes, its good. Yes, it doesn't slip going up a hill, The only time i use the manual clutch is when I start and when I pedal with enging off. Yes, I can start from a stop wtih my bike but my 1st gear is a 34tooth sprocket.

I love my auto-clutch and will install another one on my 2nd shifter bike. Afterwards, my single speed bike will get one too!

i guess this might be more of an "opinion" topic than kit-specific. i ride a golden eagle, 40cc 2-stroke, with centrifugal clutch...at the power/weight ratio of MB's, i think it's a perfect feature. i like manual clutching, but i don't miss it at this level.

Thanks! Those were good answers. That's really all I need to know, but if anybody else would care to add something or if you've had a negative experience with centrifugal clutches I'd love to hear about it.

Mark

The centrifugal clutch i got will not engage properly at low throttle below engagement rpm, it will vibrate alot whenever i give slight throttle.

The cause is that instead of just expanding the inner clutch would repetitively expand and contract until it is spinning fast enough.

Also, my clutch would not fit straight onto crankshaft, I needed to bore the bushing out abit with a hand grinder so the crankshaft can fit inside.

But it works, thats the main thing i guess. Hope it doesnt break, has been in use for several months.

caveat emptor.

they have been around and proven good for a very long time now

first centrifugal clutch I owned on a motor bike was -- just over 50 years ago

of course it always depends on who is doing the manufacturing of

a lot of junk being imported these days from some where ???

ride that motor bike THING

the one on the local shop's display bike just went out after only several months. i will help them tear it down this weekend to see what happened to it. personally i'm a little bit nervous about installing one on my bike due to how long my daily commute is (40+ lights, 22 miles daily, 5 days a week!) I do more stop and go riding than the typical motorbicyclist and encounter many hills daily. if anyone has put 500+ miles on theirs and is an urban rider, please share your experiences.

we have put thousands of miles on quality clutches, we ain't always nice to 'em either.

but i have had a little bit of experience with clutches of dubious quality & source too...

in those cases, springs were breaking. when springs broke the uneven stress broke the drum-shaft. upon teardown, the cause seemed to be that the shoulder-bolts (pins) that the shoes ride on were so crusty-dry that the shoe couldn't be moved by hand. so, when rpm's spun 'em out, they wouldn't return on their own. you can figure out the rest.

if you're not sure about your clutch, prep it before you run it: clean and lube the shoe-pins, make sure the shoe rotates freely. also, maybe "buff" the friction-material a bit, taking off any sharp edges to reduce clatter & squeal. a little attention to the inside of the drum wouldn't hurt either.

think of a centri-clutch as a backwards drum brake, the same theories of friction (and cleanliness) apply :cool:

FORUM TIP: scroll down to the bottom of the page when viewing a topic, find the "similar threads" section, and expand yer horizons :)

Last edited:
Back