Is it ok to run full throttle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reb

Local time
9:27 PM
Hi folks, I've pretty much reached the end of my break in period, and I'm wondering if I can run full throttle on flat ground without worrying about blowing up my 66cc motor... I have the motor running good, and my top speed at 3/4 throttle is right around 25-28mph. I can get up to about 30+ with full throttle, but the RPMs are really high sounding at that point... am I just being paranoid? I figure that most 2 stroke engines are made to run at full throttle (weedeaters, chainsaws, etc) but I would appreciate any input you all have to offer.
Thanks, Reb.

Calculate your gear ratio first.

Find out what max hp rpm range is.

Stay below that rpm if you want your engine to live.

Yeah run it at full a new motor isnt that exspensive I keep an extra motor just for that reason havnt had to swap it out yet and I ride mine almost daily

Some 4 cycle engines are designed to run at near full throttle under load, often they have a governor or perhaps a small carb to deliberately hold them to a reasonable RPM. The small Hondas and Subaru Robins use the small carb and the Honda 50 uses a governor. Downhill runs at WOT will over-ride the small carb scheme and most MBers disable the governor on the Honda 50. Many 2 cycle engines will turn up some unbelievable RPMs. The Tanakas, Mitsubishis, and other well made/designed 2 strokes will handle high RPMs for a long time if the fuel-oil mix is correct. All that being said, really high RPMs, especially for long periods of time, will drastically shorten the life of any engine, no matter how well made/designed they are. Generally HTs are not well made, high quality engines and won't survive for very long at extreme revs.

Racing engines that live at high RPMs are rebuilt regularly, often after every long race. If you don't mind rebuilding your engine often, then by all means, run the p**s out of it. Otherwise, buy a tach and hold your revs below about 5,000-5,500 RPM to make it last.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back