Is it possible to keep the max speed at 20 mph?

C

Catalico

i live in Ohio and it's illegal if the motorized bicycle is able to exceed 20 mph. Is there a mod for regular motorized bike kits or just a certain type of kit itself that makes the bike not exceed 20?

1. How is anyone going to know that anyway?
2. I can pedal faster than 20mph and I haven't got the engine on yet. Lol.
3. I've seen two motored bikes IRL and they were struggling to do less than 10mph.
4. If you're really serious, I guess you could use excessively low gearing (very big rear sprocket) or put a small screw through the plastic throttle housing to limit how far it twists.. That's probably really bad for it but idk.. I think 1. sums it up. ;)

Last edited:
Illegal if it can exceed it on it own or while pedaling it? If by itself then simply pretend to help it pedal once and a while. Like the other guy said, who's going to know, even more importantly who's going to care? I mean if you assist it and go 40 mph how can they say 35 of it is the motor and you only provided 5...

And in PA it's a limit of 25, but its written, at least I think it's written, being I didn't read the law in a few months, "not designed to exceed 25mph" which is different from "designed NOT to exceed 25mph" the former simply says that you shouldn't try to make it go 27mph if it can't, also helps not to put a speedometer that reaches into the 40mph zone, while the latter would imply it NEEDS to either be a very badly running engine, or a governor would need to be installed.

Now my real question is: Does common sense tell you it will be a problem where you live? The law is simply a guideline to many many officers, do they have to give you a ticket for running a red light? Yes absolutely, do they always? No of course not, if you're a jerk then probably, and you might drive off with a few extra tickets as well.

If you see a fair number of bikes around the area then you *should* be good, observe them wisely, they aren't getting pulled over because they are doing something right, maybe it's mirrors, turn signals, using hand signals, or driving CAREFULLY, not slow and irritating to people but like you should drive, keep up of you can, don't drive past cars using the side of the road unless you HAVE to, or are making a right turn and they aren't. You know, be respectful of other drivers and especially police, and you won't have problems.

And avoid driving in the evening hours during the drinking days, you know, new years, St Patrick's, the police are actively hunting for drunk drivers, so being on a questionable ride is not helpful, and they will see what they want to see, even if you swear you didn't roll through the stop sign if they want to see you do it then you did. And it's easier to stay in and drink than go out when it's freezing anyways.

Wear reflective clothing, I almost think that the brighter and more obnoxiously reflective the clothing you wear the more the police try to avoid you. Nothing says I'm definitely right here and could be seen a mile away if needed like a neon yellow with white reflective tape shirt.

If you're making it known you want to be seen then you're making it known to the police you don't want to hide from them.

If you got nothing to hide then what's the point of pulling you over, it's not going to help society in the long run. That gang banger over there who's selling drugs from his Honda with a broken tail light however...

Just do it. You'll be better off, and if they do give you a hard time, which is unlikely, you can either try to convince them you're not a trouble maker, and you'll walk or pedal the bike home. Then you can ride it again if you're feeling lucky, though I'd try to address why they pulled you over in the first place, like did they comment on not being able to see you, or how you were driving? Try and fix it then go back for seconds. Maybe even go to the local pd with your bike and ask them for their opinion on what you could do to make them happy with what you're riding, ask for the opinion of more than 2 officers.

Worst case scenario is that you have to sell the bike, but at 150 for the kit, and likely a cheap or free bike, you can sell it at a good profit, 350-500 range, and people will buy it because there are people who don't know how to build them.

Perhaps install a speedometer for a bike on the bike, this way you can also mention you can tell how fast you're moving, which means you can easily avoid going faster than the law dictates or at the very least the speed limits around town.

Good luck, have fun, wear a damn helmet.

The reading of the laws usually go "engine cannot propel a rider faster than X mph on a flat road" so hills and winds are not a part of this speed requirement. I would look up the maximum RPM of the engine and then figure out the rear sprocket size needed to stay below/around 20 mph. This will probably be a 56T sprocket.

http://www.diygokarts.com/speed-calculator.html

But, there is an internal 4:1 gear reduction for 2-stroke China engines. So, use the calculator above figure out your speed with a lower sprocket and then divide by 4.

I discussed an option in a previous thread probably a week or two ago where you take a tach with a shift light, program the shift light to come on at whatever RPM you do 20 miles per hour at, and have the shift light trigger a relay to cut spark

Why do you have to limit it to 20mph? You'll eventually want to go faster..... How are the police going to say anything about you being able to go faster than 20mph???

From my best memory there have been people run faster than that:)

Why do you have to limit it to 20mph? You'll eventually want to go faster..... How are the police going to say anything about you being able to go faster than 20mph???

From my best memory there have been people run faster than that:)
(from Wiki)
"The fastest human footspeed on record is 44.64 km/h (12.4 m/s or 27.8 mph)..."

Back