Chain Tensioner Is The Chain Tensioner Really Needed?

Discussion in 'Transmission / Drivetrain' started by TINKERER, Mar 9, 2009.

TINKERER Member

I decided that my frame geometry allows me to go without the chain tensioner, I have not tried to drive with it like this yet but, there seems to be just the perfect amount of slack/tension. Is this a good thing? I hate the look of the tensioner is it ok to go without one?

2. cooltoy

cooltoy Member

Lots of people do this including myself. It's nice if you can slide the wheel backwards at a later date for adjusting.
  3. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

I use the same spring-loaded chain tensioner system on all my bikes & concider it an essential add-on....once setup u never need to adjust anything.
    PS....a GOOD chain also helps.

4. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

Anybody can make a chain the correct length. Sometimes there is not enough room for the chain to travel beside the chainstay. This is true on a lot of older bicycles. (schwinn single speeds, etc)

If you can get by without the tensioner... more power to ya!! It makes for a quieter driveline.

TINKERER Member

I just went for about a five mile ride before it got dark, It's smooth and quiet, I still have about a half inch of adjustability left on the dropouts, so I think I will be ok for a while.
  6. kyndpurplebiker

kyndpurplebiker New Member

My tensioner was never an option after eating it up in 20 miles.....

I just popped my chain, remeasured and re-set it....

It wasn't and hasn't been a problem since.....

good luck...

AKA kyndpurplebiker