Is the new engine I just bought dead?

Yah what Steve said, And the gaskets on the right and left side covers are to protect gears and magneto from moisture and contamination.

...So, you learned that the iron rings are very brittle and break easily if stretched!

Steve
What a fantastic answer cheers! I know everything I have to buy and do now but my only problem is shipping of components- I don't have any exhaust pipe gasket and I need some to arrive fast but there's no way in the uk for that stuff to arrive in less than a week- is there some way to make my own gasket?- I mean it's just a bit of material which takes the same shape as whatever two surfaces you are putting together - why does one need to buy the exact thing that is given in the kit?
Also it's a litre of fuel in the TANK! :p.
I havent taken the engine off to pour any petrol out if there's any in there. But I have to take it apart anyway to get those bits of piston rings out

Edit: Found a place in Coventry, UK called Petrol Scooter who do Next Day Delivery. :)

Last edited:
You can cut gaskets out of cardboard if you need to.
It may not last forever due to the heat on the exhaust pipe but will last long enough for the new store-bought ones to arrive.

It may not last forever due to the heat on the exhaust pipe but will last long enough for the new store-bought ones to arrive.

Should arrive by Wednesday latest- I think I'll wait till then- when you're such a noob at anything you always wanna follow the rulebook to the t :p.

Ah no I just realised if I need to get those bits out of the crankset then I have to take the whole thing apart- which includes taking out the gears and I have to wait for that clutch puller from China :(

Edit: Is this one from petrol scooter fine too?

http://www.petrolscooter.co.uk/tool-clutch-nut-removal-universal.html

Attachments

• clutch tool.jpg
    clutch tool.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 87
Ah no I just realised if I need to get those bits out of the crankset then I have to take the whole thing apart- which includes taking out the gears and I have to wait for that clutch puller from China :(

Edit: Is this one from petrol scooter fine too?

http://www.petrolscooter.co.uk/tool-clutch-nut-removal-universal.html

Nope, for a "SKF nut" I believe.
If you can fish the broken ring bit out, and it matches what you are missing so you know you have all of it, you are good. No need to break the cases apart.

Note to self during next teardown: Wrap clean white cloth around connecting rod under piston to prevent anything from falling into the base of the engine.

Today was not wasted, something was learned...

My method for removing debris from the crank case. If you are unable to get the pieces of broken ring out of the bottom end you may want to try this before splitting the case.
1. Remove the magneto cover. Remove the 4 screws holding the magneto. Remove the nut holding the rotor magnet, and the magnet itself. Mark the magnet rotor before removing so you get it on the right way when re-assembling. Be careful not to lose the woodruff key. There should be tutorials on youtube to cover this.
The reason for removing all this stuff is to protect the magneto from getting wet, and the magnet magnetizes the crank wheel making it hard to get all the pieces out of the bottom end.
2. Pour gasoline into the bottom end and slosh it around. Spin the crank around using the rod. Dump and repeat. If you have a old towel do all you dump outs on it so you can see what comes out. If you have all the pieces to the ring you have saved yourself a lot of work. If you don't have them all you can try blasting them out holding the engine upside down with a garden hose and pressure nozzle.
Again try to do it in a way you can retrieve what comes out. When you are all done use the fuel/oil mix for a final flush to get things lubed back up again. Good luck, and don't forget to order a case gasket if you have to split the case because the one in use will most likely be destroyed.
I would also suggest replacing the broken ring with a new one. It's a shame to do all this work and have the old ring you were talking about using from the old motor break after a short time. Or not seal properly.

Anyone know what the second picture is? I was taking off the piston from the camshaft for the old engine to see how it would all go on that one. I managed to take out two of these using pliers
20161121_202319.jpg

I know where they're from

Then when I put the engine down on its side- this thing fell out from somewhere- where on earth is it from please?
20161121_202056.jpg

thats the needle bearing that goes around the wrist pin under the piston and inside of the con-rod.

Oh right needle sleeve bearing according to wikipedia
As for the magnet- that thing refuses to budge but I tried with many small pieces of broken piston ring and they all came out with a good enough shake upside down.
I'll do it for the new engine now but for reference how do I taket a magnet that won't unscrew out? I used a breaker bar on that nut in front of the magnet which wouldn't budge- would a breaker bar work now do you think? I don't have the right socket so I can't do anything about that right- I don't think the magnet on the new engine was screwed on so tight. But I don't plan on taking that off anyway

Back