Is this a good bike?

What does one look for in a bike to motorise (sorry, newbie, but I dont' see any NEWBIES READ THIS guide to this type of question). I've seen some cool choppers, but they have a 'coaster brake' which I presume is a no-no.

I guess you want gears, good brakes (disk/drum?) and some room on the frame, but that's just a guess...

Tadpoles and variations have that same look, but the drawback of motorizing that one would be finding yourself miles from home and not having the advantage of a sprocket and multi-gears. (hill climbing or running out of gas).

It looks to me like your legs would be in constant motion, like on a kids big wheel, though one of those 5 star reviews says this:
I weigh in at 240lbs. and this bike was easy for me to manuever and ride. It is well designed so pedal action and turning are easy to execute. I just might get one for my brother who tips the scales at 275lbs!

What does one look for in a bike to motorise (sorry, newbie, but I dont' see any NEWBIES READ THIS guide to this type of question). I've seen some cool choppers, but they have a 'coaster brake' which I presume is a no-no.

I guess you want gears, good brakes (disk/drum?) and some room on the frame, but that's just a guess...

I like 7 speeds minimum, for the brakes and the hill climbing.

You are looking for 2.25 tires, which most cruisers have, or at least 2.0's, like the comfort bikes.

Steel frames or cro-alloy seem to hold up best, the thin aluminum tubing sometimes has a stress problem.

Check Craigslist for bikes, probably plenty of options there !

Here's a NOOB thread by Sparky:

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=10392

okay, and next newbie question - anyone know of services in the uk where you can get a bike conversion done professionally? I really want to get into doing this myself, but right now I have a need for some transportation, which supercedes any requirement for new toys to tinker with....

Back