Is this the end for the Green Machine?! Edit 5/18: No!

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Tom, May 17, 2008.

1. Tom

Tom Active Member

I just noticed this today... I guess the frame couldn't take the engine. I wonder how long it had been like that before I noticed...

Attached Files:

2. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

bummer...."Is this the end for the Green Machine?"

I'd say it looks like it. Sorry.
  3. That floating carb is cool.

I say time to check out flea markets and garage sales!

Or maybe it's time for a 4 stroke!

Yes. This is a sign.
  4. boilerman420

boilerman420 New Member

I'm looking at the gap in the fracture.
    If that gap is natural, and not enhanced for viewing,
    It would suggest that the frame was stressed during
    the welding process.
    If you want to save the frame, you might consider
    having a split sleeve welded over the fracture.
    If the crack was purely due to the vibration and torque of the motor
    that gap would be virually non-existent.
    Personally i'd patch it. It's probably good for another 10-20k

-J.R.- :)
  5. Tom

Tom Active Member

Wow, good eye! I did not increase the gap at all. It makes a little more sense now. I was thinking of doing the split-sleeve welding, I guess that makes the most sense now.

6. augidog

augidog Banned

"save the green machine"
  7. Scottm

Scottm Guest

Good call boilerman. I was wondering how such a gap would appear. The factory used used a down tube that was too short. I'm curious Tom, where did your seat post stop in the tube, just above the fracture? It may not be relevant, but just wondering if it was a factor too.
    Weld her up and get back on the road.
    Just another thouht, is this bike you have had a collision with that lady in the truck? Could the impact have stressed the frame? Well I bet the forks would bend before the entire frame would. Hmm
  8. kerf

kerf Guest

Gap is probably from frame loading during the break not manufacturing. Pull it back and weld, weld, weld.
  9. Tom

Tom Active Member

Same bike as when I got my front tire run over by a truck. It doubt that played a substantial role though since it was pretty low speed and low impact.

Didn't even think about the seatpost. It is up a bit higher than the fracture though.

I think I'll try and "Save the Green Machine"
  10. loquin

loquin Active Member

Never a good thing when you see air through the frame... :(

Who knows why it happened. The initial welding can put enough stress on the frame to pull that much. The accident you had could have been the cause. You're just not going to know.

Now, the question I have is, do you WANT to pull it back into place before you weld with a split sleeve? I wouldn't think so. That would just restore the constant stress that was on that tube in the first place.
  11. kjparker

kjparker Member

Dont know if its going to make a difference or not, but with my build, I pushed an additional seat pole down all the way to re-inforce the area. It may not help, but I guess it certainly cant hurt!

You could try doing that with the repair, use a seat post down the center, and then weld the split sleeve over the top. would be stronger than new!
  12. Tom

Tom Active Member

I bought some 1" EMT conduit, cut it down the center with a hack saw and clamped it together around the fracture with some u-bolts. I put some old bike tube down before clamping the EMT down to create a better hold.

It is very sturdy right now. I am sure I could have done something a little more clean, but I wanted to get it together by tomorrow and my welding skills are sub-par.

The Green Machine lives on!

Attached Files:

13. That is wicked! Nice job!
  14. SirJakesus

SirJakesus Guest

That would have scared the **** out of me. Good to see you got it patched up though. LONG LIVE GREEEEEN!
  15. Scottm

Scottm Guest

"And there was much rejoicing in the land." Good job, looks clean to me.
  16. boilerman420

boilerman420 New Member

Necessity is the mother of invention.
    Nice McGuiver, now just make sure that the gap
    isn't part of your suspension, or you might wind up breaking
    a upper back-bone weld somewhere....good luck!
    btw: thanks for the stickers:grin: