Italian Morini engines

I only have the 5.8 and it's plenty fast. It has been known to snap spokes especially if their not tied. I run my morini extremely hard 90% of the time and it's still getting faster everytime I take it out. If you're a speed demon...then this motor is for you. But be safe on the streets!
The best part is I have the peace of mind that my bike isn't going to fall apart on me because of a stripped motor mount bolt, broke clutch or a snapped head bolt. Of course its more expensive but the extra few hundred bucks is worth not getting stranded 25+ miles away from civilization. I've taken my bike out in 110 degree weather in the mojave desert and some rough mountain trails and revved the living daylights out of it in the streets and it's been trouble free. Here's a short clip of my bike climbing a medium grade hill with a 47 tooth sprocket back when it was still new. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHFiQ_scoNg

I would like to get hold of one of those... because I wonder if it could be mounted inverted on a GEBE mount... that machine would really *fly*

but... since I am more brassic than lehman brothers I guess that'll have to wait for another day/decade/life :(

Still... so tempted about those 3 cylinder radial engines as well...

Jemma xx

Jemma, One thing I learned working with the owner of Santa Cruz Scooter Works (Dean) is anything is possible.
I put a new ignition from the 6.4 motor along with the carbon fiber reeds on the aluminum bike and it increased the low end pull at least 25%.

Very interesting. Not cheap, but then, like most things, you get what you pay for.

In the case of the 3HP and the 5.8HP motors, will these more or less bolt up to Happy Time type running gear? In other words, are they somewhat interchangeable with a Happy Time set up bike? Just bolt up motor, hang the chain and go?

Kinda yes and no Donald. The drive chain is the same as the HT motors (415). However the pedal crank needs to be wider. Shimano makes different width crank hubs. Also, motor mounts need to be made and the only place I know that makes them is PipeLyne/Santa Cruz Scooter Works in San Jose, Ca.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a luxury car dealership that moved into a dollar store building that sells some high end motored bikes. At first glance I thought they were HTs, but after i stopped in and looked at the price tag, they had to be something else. They were closed when I was there, but through the window, the engines look just like these. The castings were smooth and everything looked like a fine piece of engineering :D

but if I had ~$1000 i would have went for an '86 Yamaha Radian 650 :cry:

call me crazy, but the picture in the original post of this thread has a frame mount engine to a cog on the left side of the rear wheel, happytime style, except it's a full suspension. Wouldn't the rear triangle moving constantly be changing the distance/angle of the rear cog to the engine? Best case scenario I can see is it doesn't allow the rear suspension to move? Am I wrong here (it happens frequently!)?

Back