Jackshaft Help From Anyone Who Has One !!!!

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by chain, Jul 19, 2015.

1. chain

chain Member

Ok so I know your going to say....:annoyed:... why bother and single speeds are a joke and coaster brakes suck but I have a Question ...Odd But a Question ...I want to put a Jackshaft on my coaster brake Dyno . I live at the beach it's flat it's slow and I don't need gears ,but I want to use the jackshaft to keep the drive chain and fit around the wider fireball rear tire .
    Is this possible (no I don't need to hear it's a waste of money :eek:fftopic:) to do ?
    I've never used a Jackshaft so I really am not familiar with them .
    Thanks and please be kind ...It's just a question !!Ha

2. KCvale

KCvale Motorized Bicycle Vendor

Absolutely OK.
    Your coaster brake will be useless as your pedals spin freely backwards but very handy for certain builds.

This Surley had a 7-speed and a disc brake but he wanted a Mule with no gears.

No Problem.

3. chain

chain Member

Hey thanks man ,you rock !!:rockon:
    KCvale likes this.
  4. KCvale

Ya, sometimes...

Your fine bud, Rock On yourself ;-}
  5. chain

chain Member

Hey so I see you use a lot of 3 speed internal hubs . How do they work for you ?
    Are they worth adding to this build on my Dyno ?
  6. KCvale

I will take an internal 3 over anything else for most uses.

I have never broke one, and they have the same top and bottom end gear ratios as a 7 speed cassette.
    Not only do most need the extra 4 gears of a 7, the sprocket is fixed and uses HD 410 chain.
    No derailleur or trying to bend skinny chain to offset sprockets.

Yep, an internal drive any day and for most, just 3 gears is enough.
    Don't forget, these things run with no gears, a high and low gear is a super double bonus ;-}
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2015