Jackshaft jackshaft\shift kit

Spitfyre

Local time
9:50 AM
I've been thinking about puting a home made jackshaft on my bike but have no idea how to make one. sickbikeparts has the shift kit for $180.00 more then my motor kit. my motor is a black stallion 80cc. anyone have any ideas on where to get one for le$$ or how to make one thanks:D

Last edited:
If your into welding you could weld a bmx bottom bracket to the frame that would house bearings to hold a 5/8" shaft with #41 sprocket on the left and a 5/8" freewheel adapter for a freewheel on the right next to a #40 sprocket to drive the back wheel

or even grab one of these kits
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jack...i-Chopper_W0QQitemZ360153897535QQcmdZViewItem

you would just then need a bottom bracket to house it in then weld it on the frame.

Last edited:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Just can not beat the value for the SBP kit. The engines are cheap-china junk, can not compare the cost of those to one of the shift kits. They are quality made. :)

Well, here is my idea for a shift kit. Pretty self explanatory in my opinion.

Just find a metal working warehouse/company and ask them to make a sprocket to fit on the left side of the bottom bracket. You could then find a way to get a freewheel and keep your pedals, but it might be easier to just drill the frame (the lower stays on the back) and fab up some pegs (like the old scooterguy setups).

Well, here is my idea for a shift kit. Pretty self explanatory in my opinion.

Just find a metal working warehouse/company and ask them to make a sprocket to fit on the left side of the bottom bracket. You could then find a way to get a freewheel and keep your pedals, but it might be easier to just drill the frame (the lower stays on the back) and fab up some pegs (like the old scooterguy setups).

Sounds like a piece of cake. I am sure there are lots of places that will be happy to fab that up for less than $200, plus figure out the freewheel too. :whistle:

A friend of mine took his spocket into a machine shop to enlarge the hole. They charged $40 for that alone. :eek:

please post link for cheap china junk jackshaft kit to match my cheap china motor.

no need to put a mercedes transmission on a ford.

i dont need one anyway,i have a single speed.

Last edited:
Some have messed with this one:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_25271_25271

But it is just the jackshaft, still need to fab up the mounts, plus the freeweel, and a lock collar, plus the free wheel, or delete the pedals. I agree it can be done, and wish you guys all the best! Keep us posted with pics and all of the build, will love to see the finished results. These kits are all about DYI :)

I don't really understand the analogy cabinfever but ok. If anything a SBP kit would be a Mercedes Tranmisson on a Ford as the Kit cost more than a china kit. Anyways Thanks Hawaii Ed for the good words anythings possible, I figured that's what the founders of MB did before there were kits.

Back