jackshafts

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by cspaur13, May 29, 2009.

1. cspaur13

cspaur13 Member

can people post some pictures of there bikes with a jackshaft.
    thanks,
    cody

2. Ghost0

Ghost0 Guest

3. cspaur13

cspaur13 Member

im not interested in the sick bike parts jackshaft. that seems to be all thats on that thread

4. AussieJester

AussieJester Member

Not surprised they are outrageously overpriced IMHO..They cost more than you can buy a complete 49cc kit for :-S

Here's one i knocked up for my brother on a Saturday morning for next to nothing-->

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry i havent got any pics of the jackshaft on its own, suffice to say jackshafts are dead simple to put together, the bearing holders can be purchased from any good bearings supplier hit a scrap metal merchant up for the stell you'll get the whole job done for under 100 bucks EASILY.

Best of luck...

KiM

Last edited: May 30, 2009
  5. cspaur13

cspaur13 Member

wow u made that. looks professional. i almost thought it was the sick bike parts jackshaft. but im just using one to get the correct gearing since im using a harbor frieght 79cc 4 stroke.
    dose any1 have a pic of the jackshaft kit on your bike. the ones for go karts that are like 30 bucks

6. graucho

graucho Active Member

Nice post/reply Jester.

cspaur. i'm not sure of your exact plan, here's another source and a few photos. graucho

http://www.pacificnorthwestbearing.....html?osCsid=3bb95ea1297efbeb82c7ae9b4e63efdd

http://www.cyclone-usa.com/store.php?action=show_detail&crn=203&rn=301

7 down.... http://www.bmikarts.com/shop/?keywords=jackshaft&match_criteria=all&search=Search&cart=1778261

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 30, 2009
  7. cspaur13

cspaur13 Member

wow thats a nice jackshaft. its way more durable and better than the cheap 30 buck jackshafts. i woulnt have to have a freewheel if i lost the pedals right. thanks graucho

8. macarollo

macarollo Guest

Aussie... do you have a front freewheel or do your pedals just spin violently when you gas the engine?

9. AussieJester

AussieJester Member

It has a freewheel crank i made using an old freewheel and and crank set sourced from kerbside, the whole bike (minus the motor obviously) was made from parts sourced from the side of the road during council collection :) You can purchase either cheap or expensive freewheel setups if you don't have the tools to make your own, Cyclone sell them as do any high end bike store, freewheel cranks are standard on HIGH end trials bicycles :)

cspaur13 : no you wouldnt, but then your bicycle would effectively become a motorcycle and thus be illegasl to ride on the street without registration and a license, aaaand unless i am mistaken even in USA you can't get a license at 14...gaaawd i hope not anyway LoL

KiM

10. jlebh1

jlebh1 Member

would like more info too thanks

11. cspaur13

cspaur13 Member

the cops will never bother me. there never are any in my neighborhood. people always ride there dirtbikes, atvs and go karts down the road. and horses are alooud as well. i might keep the pedals if they will fit with that big motor in the frame.

12. cspaur13

cspaur13 Member

i went with grauchos style jacshaft. purchases everything last night. it will be in by friday.
    thanks,
    cody

13. ZnsaneRyder

ZnsaneRyder Member

SWEET! So you are going to gear your HF 4-stroke engine to the 6 or 7 rear gears! I can't wait to see this.

If you can get over 35mph on one of those engines with only one gear, imagine several!

14. machiasmort

machiasmort Active Member

Zsane,

Just stop it!

You guy's are giving me ideas and keeping me up all night reading!

15. cspaur13

cspaur13 Member

will a gear reduction of 8.80:1 be good. and will i be able to take off from a dead stop

16. ZnsaneRyder

ZnsaneRyder Member

8.8 sounds good. The small engine can take off from a stop, but I always recommend pedaling with the engine on a start to make it last longer, and have less wear.

17. ZnsaneRyder

ZnsaneRyder Member

LOL. I can relate. I was reading so much stuff and stayed up until 7AM this morning, before going to bed.

18. buzbikebklyn1

buzbikebklyn1 New Member

THAT JUST MIGHT BE THE MOST UGLY BIKE IVE EVER SEEN!, NICE JACK SHAFT ARRANGEMENT, BEATS THE HECK OUTA PAYING $217.

19. She's a Beauty

Nice job on the rear suspension Kim. Once again you've outdone most of us with kerbside parts. Here's my similar version / pillow bearing supported shaft /bought from go cart supply for less than 100 bucks total.

pillow drive 1.jpg

pillow drive 2.jpg

pillow drive 3.jpg

20. Another version

If you are eliminating the pedals you can use the existing bottom bracket to house the jackshaft, like this. Still cost about 100 bucks.

IMG_0825.jpg

IMG_0828.jpg