Japanese 2-stroke -OR- 4-stroke for 700 Mile, One-Way Ride?

For my trip, should I go with:

• 2-STROKE

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • 4-STROKE

Votes: 29 80.6%

• Total voters
Sparky, do you really think you are going to be going 10 mph faster than the larger HT with a lot more weight (gear and stuff) than they carry?
What Vtec said- no gas and oil to mix with the 4 cycle.

All my original calculations were including necessary stops, slow downs, & maintenance (of which there really shouldn't be too many on my bike; there's no derailers and I haven't gotten a flat since lining both sides of my tubes)... but not the extra 50 lbs of weight. I'm not sure how to calculate that, but I think if I put all my tools, clothes, & hammock gear in a backpack... it wouldn't slow the 2-stroke down but 1 or 2 mph. I think 50 lbs is an extremely conservative number. The actual weight should be closer to 20~25 lbs, I'd think.

Hmm.... I don't think I included a 50 to 60 lbs backpack in my calculations. That's prolly a 4 mph and 10~20 mpg right there.

Not really. At a typical MB top speed (30 mph) on the flat, almost all the power is used for overcoming air resistance. Weight is not an important factor. The only time weight is important is climbing hills and accelerating from a stop.

In other words, adding 50 pounds will not significantly decrease your top speed, although your speed going up hills will decrease.

hey sparky you might also wanna consider a pull trailer from walmart the one you put kids in it would hold all your stuff and extra parts in case of bad weather and you know you will be taking murphys law with you weather you want him or not but if you got everything mounted securely all your nutts and bolts loctited and extra chain llinks tire and tube patches it will be fine go just watch the wot none of the motors really like it much and be safe

hey sparky you might also wanna consider a pull trailer from walmart the one you put kids in it would hold all your stuff and extra parts in case of bad weather and you know you will be taking murphys law with you weather you want him or not but if you got everything mounted securely all your nutts and bolts loctited and extra chain llinks tire and tube patches it will be fine go just watch the wot none of the motors really like it much and be safe
Thanks!

There's just something about the trailer that I'm not a fan of. But now that I think about it, it would make it harder for somebody to jack my ride. That's for sure!!

As for weather, I was really just banking on using my cell phone to check the radar every half-hour or so. I always know when it's gonna rain, so long as I can see the radar and wind velocity. Cell phone would also be used for GPS every once in awhile. And considering it's such an important tool, I'd have to bring a spare one just in case! And a copy or two of all my phone numbers in my wallet & pack.

My hammock setup w/ "bug sock" & tarp only weighs about 3 lbs all together!! It only takes a few minutes to set up, but maybe I should consider an 11 lbs pop-up tent instead. Takes a minute to set up and I can make new lady friends, too!! :cool:

see most of those trailers im speaking of will carry 50 to 70 pounds worth of equipment . plus like you said you could carry a bigger shelter. i got a couple 2 person tents and they only hold one person so i bought a four person and it holds up a lot better. by the way how fast you wanting to finish this trip? it sounds like you are in a hurry to go and get back going to see family or something similar not trying to be nosey?

I'm not leaving 'til at least late March or April.

And, thinking about it while riding my rippin' 2-stroke today, I probly will go with the 4-stroke if only to slow down and enjoy the ride. So that right there almost answers the question... not to mention the oil I'll save and won't have to mix.

Only thing I really have to do to prepare is really just add a 1 gallon tank to my baby... and I'd be set.

well sparky im in missouri if u get this way holler im in the boot heel section a town called sikeston well would a full size motorcycle tank fit your bike with a few mods or maybe you could carry to half gallon tanks put you a front rack on your bike and mount it and t off both tanks to your carb biggest ank i've seen so far is 3 liters but i really havent been looking that hard if i go any where im taking my trailer and carrying a extra gallon jug for fuel in a plastic bag so i dont get fuel everywhere if spills

American Power Sports has a bunch of tanks for gokarts clear up to an 8 liter tank that would go on a back rack pretty good. I have seen on eBay 4 liter tanks for under $30.

American Power Sports has a bunch of tanks for gokarts clear up to an 8 liter tank that would go on a back rack pretty good. I have seen on eBay 4 liter tanks for under $30.
I think 4 to 5 liters is the hotspot for me.

I had something more like the gas cans that you can buy from Dollar General, Family Dollar, Fred's, etc. for about $4.... in mind..

Just add a hole and a rubber "grommet" and you should be good to go.

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=9573
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=7821

I just don't know where to get those rubber grommets, tho. I'm guessing any auto parts house, but dunno for sure.

Back