jb weld for hole in engine!

Discussion in 'Painting, Welding, Bending and Gas Tanks' started by masterx1234, Jun 24, 2011.

1. masterx1234

masterx1234 Member

oh no just found a hole in the cylinder! this explains why my idle wasnt smooth, but my question is can i use jb weld to seal the pin size hole in the cylinder? i only want this to be a temporary repair, could it work?

2. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

JB Weld??? I doubt it. With a propane torch and a stick of aluminum you can repair it.

3. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

New cylinders aren't very expensive at all. Unless I had brazing/welding experience, I'd just buy a new cylinder. I definitely would not trust JB Weld around high heat and compression/pressure.

4. Mr.B.

Mr.B. Member

Don't know if it would work, but since it's temporary might be worth a try!

It won't cost much and you otherwise have nothing to loose.

Of coarse you must report back with the results!

-Kirk

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015
  5. ddesens

ddesens Member

JB weld would work great. Ruff up the area a little 1st then apply and let sit for 24hrs. I think you will have great luck. I once used jb weld inside of a lawn mower engine to hold 2 valve seats in place. The lawn mower was a freebie . It worked great for an entire summer before they loosened up again.

6. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

Yes and how long was the mower run each time and frequency used? My opinion...JB Weld has it's place, but not here. But try it till you can either repair the cylinder or replace it. Then you can let us know.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  7. wbuttry

wbuttry Member

if just a pin hole first stick something in the hole first like part of a tooth pick so it wont hit the piston and then goop it on kinda thick and folllow label directions and go ride after it dries of course

8. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

Cylinder body cost $25 plus about another $10 for gaskets.
    JB Weld cost $5.27.

Difference in cost of doing something that may not work and doing it right? Around $30.
    Not worrying about a cheap repair failing? Priceless.

9. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

Here we go with good ol' JB-Weld again.

10. masterx1234

masterx1234 Member

lol well guess what, i used jb weld on it, but yes its a very small hole right next to the intake manifold, the air leak is fixed! and motor is really running great now

11. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

JB weld is awesome. I use it to secure my dentures now that fixodent has been linked to nerve damage.

12. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

My wife's Siamese cat has a constant diarrhea problem..I am thinking about getting some JB Weld and.......never mind

13. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

Oh well.......we will be waiting to answer how to fix your engine after it happens again. Maybe you will be so kind as to post here WHEN it does. (not if....when)

14. Sgt. Howard

Sgt. Howard Member

Y'know... iffen you pops a pinhole in a bad area, and there's a hardware or conveiniance store that has the stuff... more likely than finding a new jug... whatever gets you home is not to be sneered at.
    the Old Sgt.

15. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

Whatever Works.

Hey Sarg. Sounds like ya been there a time or two yerself.

16. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

True! But if you have the opportunity to DIRFT it, then Do It Right the First Time.

17. wbuttry

wbuttry Member

Sometime people like me for one and im sure there are a few more cant really afford to by new jugs.Or a new super turbo charged v22 twin cam dual spark anything. Some times it doesnt require much money to make a tiny fix and some time it does. You know yes we would love to be able to afford to buy a new part every time we got a scratch on the other. But we dont if jb weld fixes a flat tire and it works good use it. And if it fixes a pin hole in a jug go for it. All i'm saying if it last 6 months excellent if last 2 hours good it held it got you home .Maybe now if you have a problem like that again or jb weld fails yes buy a new jug when u can afford to .

18. PatrickW

PatrickW Staff Member

Hmmmm...I was just about to suggest Duct Tape and Double Bubble.

19. InfoCentral

InfoCentral Member

Repairs do last

I hear you there. I once had a wire stick into my truck tire right on the outer edge of the tread. I took it to a couple of tire shops and they said they couldn't fix it because it was too close to the sidewall of the tire. I told my friend about it in school who owned a tire shop and he said in that position it was best to use a plug and not a patch. So I went down to Harbor Freight and bought a tire plug kit for $5 and proceeded to fix my first tire. Bottom line, it was a fairly new tire and the plug lasted the life of the tire!

20. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

Hey Info, Nothin wrong with replying to any thread, Just wondering if'n ya noticed the thread is two years old. No biggie, I've done it a couple times myself. And perhaps it'll help bring back an old thread, (which is not a bad thing.)
    Big Red.