John Deere Trailer Completed

About a page behind this one is the thread for the bicycle I did, but this thread is dedicated to the tow behind trailer I did to finish off the bicycle with class!

The axle is 5/8" steel rod I got from Fastenall for ~$8 or so, and I tapped the threads on myself.

Standard run of the mill pillow block bearings mounted to a wood platform with left over paint I had from the bicycle painting.

The 1/4" flat bar was bought from Lowes for ~$10 or so, and the "trailer hitch" is nothing more then a ( grade 5 ) 1/2" bolt put thru the top of the BMP channel with a first locking nut to bolt it to the channel and a second locknut to keep the flat bar on and left a little loose to allow the flat bar to turn easily!

It trails very well and leaving the top locknut a half turn loose allows it to flex while turning and cornering.

My single worry was the trailer bouncing up and down and lifting the friction drive from the tire.... but a firm lockdown on the quick release keeps it well in place even after going over full speed bumps and myself coming way off the seat!

Handlebars measured 28" across so I kept trailer width of outside tires at that same width for safety reasons!

Final touches will be to throw on some eye bolts and bungies for carrying things.

Post your thoughts... all thoughts are welcome!

Attachments

• Bicycle.jpg
    Bicycle.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 433
  • Axle.jpg
    Axle.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 294
  • Profile 2.jpg
    Profile 2.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 329
  • Behind View.jpg
    Behind View.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 245
  • Seat View.jpg
    Seat View.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 254
  • Side View.jpg
    Side View.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 239
  • Split Rims.jpg
    Split Rims.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 241
  • Trailer Hitch.jpg
    Trailer Hitch.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 270
very cool Dog, it looks really nice with those colors , and simon is right it does need stake sides too add that special finishing touch

John deer

A cardboard box coated with hay and two wraps of bailing wire.

That was my first thought. Where's the racks. It would finish it off at least visually.
Maybe find a plastic tote to put in it if you need to keep things dry or so they don't fly out.
On the whole it is a sweet bike and trailer, very well done. You will be answering questions about how you did it at every stop I'm sure. May that never get old.

Steve.

I have to tell you guys...

I took it out yesterday afternoon for a short ride to see how it would do with the trailer attached and my titan 50cc bolted on... and I have to say honestly that I had people slowing down in cars starring at me, people in front of their houses waving to me, and the Fedex guy stopped me and asked where I bought it from!

No man ever rode their MB with a bigger grin on their face then I did yesterday with all that positive attention!

Back