Jolts or slips I can't tell what is doing.

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Rockjaw, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Rockjaw

Rockjaw Member

I need advice here..I built this Avalon Hybrid..for some reason it Jolts off the start a lot...I cant really tell what its doing,...i think the chain is slipping as its riding..Ive done everything..the chain is tight..ive swapped the tensioner all different ways..im slumped on this one.
    Any advice would be great
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Bzura

Bzura Member

That bike has rear suspension, and the stock chain tensioner won't help you with that. Your best bet is to put a shift kit on there. Either that or replace the rear suspension spring with something solid (disabling the rear suspension).

3. Slogger

Slogger Member

I like your bike, it's compact and looks fast. If you feel your chain 'slipping' it could be your clutch slipping. If too much grease is pushed in there, it can happen.
    Here's what I would check- the woodruff key that locates the sprocket on the output shaft. It might've broken or fallen out somehow.
    You'd have some slipping and jerking then.
    Good luck with it!
    Nice bike.

4. Rockjaw

Rockjaw Member

Ok thanks for responses! ya know i did smother the chain and the drive sprocket with red grease..but I dont get it..ive done that to all my builds and never had one slip or anything

5. Bzura

Bzura Member

It's not the grease. Every time you sit on the bike and compress the suspension the distance between the 2 sprockets decreases. As you start out riding the suspension is bobbing up & down, and the sprockets are getting nearer and then further apart, sort if rhythmically. The chain

6. Bzura

Bzura Member

It's not the grease.

When you start out on the bike the suspension is bobbing up and down. This causes the distance of the front and rear sprocket to change in a somewhat rhythmic pattern. The jolting from this constant distance change is just adding to more bobbing of the suspension. A vicious circle if you will.

7. Rockjaw

Rockjaw Member

i think youre correct BZURA..any ideas how to change the suspension? make it solid?
    what can i replace the spring with?
    and Slogger I will check out the clucth too!

8. Slogger

Slogger Member

I was referring to the grease pushed into the hole for the clutch operating rod and the ball in there. They say if you use too much it can work its way onto your clutch plate. The grease on the sprocket wouldn't.
    The geometry of his swingarm and that little shock would put his drive sprocket only a couple inches above the guesstimated optimum placement. His chain will tighten and loosen, but the travel is so short I doubted it was causing the problem.
    I'd still have a look at that key.

Rockjaw likes this.
  9. Rockjaw

Rockjaw Member

Fixxed ! I took the spring off in the rear suspension ..then I replaced it with a piece of metal pipe and made it solid..so more slipping in the chain. Thanks for the advice guys ...id be stuck without this chatroom .
    RJ!

10. Bzura

Bzura Member

Glad I could help diagnose the problem. You only ever want to consider putting a China Girl on a full suspension bike if you include a shift kit. Maybe your next build?

11. Purple Haze

Purple Haze Active Member

Shoulda put a spring loaded tensioner on it, that woulda taken care of the suspension travel.

12. Rockjaw

Rockjaw Member

shift kit..how many mph would it pick up? i think this bike does about 28mph ..would it do 40 mph?

13. butre

butre Well-Known Member

spring loaded tensioner would have been preferable to disabling the rear suspension

14. Fast Shag

Fast Shag Member

$4 spring tensioner

ace hardwear PA300008.jpg