Junster, Washington St.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Junster, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Junster

Junster Member

Hi. I'm 53, found your forum the other day when seaching for Motored Bike info. I'm in sw washington state, pretty good mechanic, passable welder. Broke my shoulder a couple months ago on my Mt. bike cause I forgot I'm not 22. I haven't bought a motor yet but this is the bike I intend to use. 1952 Schwinn w/RoadMaster Springer. Will change out the red band rear hub first. Think this would be a good choice? Or should I just use my Mt. Bike?

Attached Files:

2. azbill

azbill Active Member

welcome :)
    for comfort...I would go with the cruiser
    that is a cool lookin bike, love the springer !!!

3. Junster

Junster Member

to AzBill

Thanks I'm the guy that emailed you about not being able to post. Tom fixed it for me this morning. (thanks again Tom) The front end is a cantalever from a roadmaster totally smooth action.

4. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

Glad to see you made it here!!

the cruiser gets my vote, too.

Welcome to MBc.

5. Zev0

Zev0 Member

Yes, definately go with the cruiser. BTW, southwest WA eh? There's quite a few of us MBers in Ocean Park which is just about as far southwest as you can get. Are you anywhere close?

6. Junster

Junster Member

I was living in Nahcotta, I moved to Longview for the winter to help care for my Mom. I maybe back this sping. You the guy with the black extended frame MB?

7. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

Good to meet ya!

The '52 Schwinn is a perfect candidate for motorizing, and that Roadmaster 'Shockmaster' is the best in vintage suspension forks, IMO. Though you may want to find new springs for it as on mine the 50+ year old springs are no longer as strong as they once were.
    http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=13031&highlight=Black+Sunshine&page=3
    As for the rear hub, I would just rebuild the Bendix R.B. and roll with it, I use them and have had good results.:cool:
    Rif

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2009
  8. Junster

Junster Member

So the axle in the red band will take the abuse then? Cause I could just lace a new Workman rim on it. I was just worried about damaging a very old hub that works perfect. What about wear and tear on the internal disk coaster brake?

9. Junster

Junster Member

BTW Srdavo thanks for directing me to Tom he got me fixed up right away.

10. Zev0

Zev0 Member

No, that would be Augidog.

11. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

OOPS! My bad- I was referring to the later Bendix- if yours is similar to the New Departure, which uses a 'clutch pack' of discs (alternating brass and steel) then use the worksman hub!!! The disc pack will not take kindly to motorizing. This from experience. Sorry for the mix up... :)

12. Junster

Junster Member

Thanks for the update. I think I'll go with the grubee HD axle that allows the spin on spocket since I saw they found a source for the correct freewheel for the right side. With a workman rim it should hold up well. I liked your bike in the link you sent. Are "our" frontends as rare as I think?