just a general question

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by machine23, Jul 10, 2009.

1. machine23

machine23 New Member

im looking into a motor kit and im wondering if anyone repacks their bearings in the hub to ensure there is no friction when you are going up to 40mph. and are people riding these things at night? or in rain?

2. azbill

azbill Active Member

depends alot on the wheels I guess
    coasters need to be serviced a lot more than sealed bearing wheels
    but all motoredbikes need to be well maintained (subject to a lot more stresses than when pedal-only)

3. biken stins

biken stins Member

Welcome.
    I repack bearing. Use a lot of grease
    Lot of info on lights. Always good to be seen at night.
    Night riding is fun.
    Riding in the rain isn't that bad. Dress for it use common sense. you won't know how deep a puddle is by looking at the top. Avoid oil slicks.
    Check out thread below it will help you a lot.
    http://motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=10392
    Good luck, enjoy.

4. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

After thousands of miles, the old steel $35 Wheelmaster's showed no problems with the bearing, and I'm hopeful the new $50 Weinmann SX7 gives me the same reliability.

Part of the MBprincipal is replacing those rears with 12 gauge spokes or even 10 g., so this purchase (and everything you do to the wheels/tires/tubes) would be the one which reflects how much you value your life.

Folks who think a lot of themselves contact MB member "the wheelmaster", for a deluxe unit.

http://www.motoredbikes.com/member.php?u=2711

5. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

not so sure

not so sure
    that they think a lot of themselves ??
    or can afford them ??
    thinking about safty ?? yes that's always a good thing

I found two more broken spokes the other day ((on rear))
    it does get old !!
    and had a dream last night that I had more broken spokes
    yes -- don't tell my wife
    sometimes my MB is in my dreams !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MM

6. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

Many riders seem to use the cheap cruiser bikes. You BETTER take these apart to check hubs & bottom bracket for grease !! Don't be surprised if there in NONE in there !

7. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

G'day & welcome.
    With hub bearings the more grease the less dust.

8. RMWdave

RMWdave Member

you can also sometimes replace the caged style bearings with loose balls for more surface area.

9. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

There apparently is a shortage of grease in China and every China bike should have their bearings repacked. Whoever builds Walmart's and K'mart's bikes around here doesn't do a good job.

10. the walmart cruiser bike from china that i bought has plenty of grease packed into the bearings and peddal cranks,i know cause i looked.

11. pdxrhett

pdxrhett Member

as far as riding in the rain goes, some motor's CDI doesn't drain very well.

I have a mitsubishi knock off on thescooterguy's set up, and i ride it everyday, rain, snow or shine. Not a problem yet (until I took off the head and broke a gasket...)