just finished this one for the wife

she started right up and rides nicely.

still need to find a way to level the carb, run the cables nice and clean, and tweak a few other things but all the hard work is done!

Attachments

• rightside.jpg
    rightside.jpg
    422 KB · Views: 545
  • leftside.jpg
    leftside.jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 444
Classic

Nice looking bike, pickled. Simple, but classic! I'm wondering:geek:, how have you mounted you rear wheel engine drive sprocket?

Thanks L's. It is classic - that's a 50s murray frame. I couldn't bring myself to buy a Walmart bike for this :)

I mounted the rear sprocket using the adapter from piratecycles. I'm hoping to have this bike a long time and didn't want the rag joint thing pulling on the spokes all the time. You can see the adapter better in these pics -

Attachments

• rear-sprocket.jpg
    rear-sprocket.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 346
  • 2011-11-19_14-28-16_600.jpg
    2011-11-19_14-28-16_600.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 328
Classic

Looks real clean, like it's part of the bike. I know what you mean, but you might get lucky one day and find the one you want at a store like that... How do you like that adapter mounting to the CB HUB? I'm in the process of my build and can't decide:unsure: if I want to go your route or the disk brake adapter setup. Appreciate it pickled

I can only compare to the rag joint set up and in that case there is no question - the adaper rocks. Much easier to work with, adjustable, and looks a lot more professional and clean.

The only problem I have is I may still need to bend the coaster brake a tiny bit because the chain is hitting the tire just slightly. On a bike with smaller tires this wouldn't be an issue OR a bike with a little more clearance between the tire and frame. I want the bigger tires but they barely clear the frame so I have no wiggle room. If I bend the brake just a tad I can move the sprocket out just a hair more and I should be good to go.

Classic

No doubt, your choice is "le creme de la creme:bowdown:." I'm not too familiar with working on CB's, but wouldn't bending it damage internals due to minute angle effecting the internals? Again, I am not sure, just scanned a blowup of a shimano cb(see attached photo), and it looked to me that everything was tight and in place. A LBS owner mentioned to that if I decided to go with a cb mounted in 135mm rear hub spacing that my alignment woes could be solved with axel spacers. Analyizing your pics, it seems you may need to widen the frame a few mm's to make it happen. In theory it seems to make sense... Wish you luck with however you decide to make it work.

http://vancruisers.ca/tech/manuals/shimano-service-manuals/shimano-single.jpg/image_large

I was just reading that I might be able to add spacers to the hub too. I hadn't thought of that. if that works I'll go that route. thx for mentioning that!

if not, what I meant was bending just the cb arm so I can slide the adapter out just a tiny bit more on the hub. it shouldn't effect the operation at all.

if we ride a real lot I eventually plan to switch to a better frame overall and not have this issue at all.

I could also take the easy route like I did on my bike and just opt for no brakes at all but I'm fairly sure the wife prefers being able to stop ;)

Last edited:
yes you can bend the coaster brake arm with no problems.
All it does is provide leverage to the brake when apply it, to keep the hub from rotating backwards when you apply the brake.
Bending it will not hurt or affect the way the brake works.

Back