Just received my first motor kit. Chinese 2-stroke, Back

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by sweetchopper, Jun 12, 2013.

1. sweetchopper

sweetchopper New Member

There's a pretty deep scuff on the side, scuffs all around the spark plug housing and the top end of the motor seems a bit mangled. Is this common with factory standard testing?

Attached Files:

2. kraznos

kraznos New Member

Why not ask the seller
  3. powerstroke

powerstroke Member

Looks like you should turn it back in to the seller, that does not look right.
  4. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

pretty rough but not terribly unusual.
    sweetchopper likes this.
  5. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

The reality of the situation is that the appearance of the outside of the engine does not reflect the internal operation of the engine.

So long as the internal components are machined correctly, there is no real need to worry about the external casting flaws.
    Most of my engines have casting flash and surface imperfections and some of them have a much better external finish, however it has not made any noticeable difference when it comes to performance between engines.
    sweetchopper likes this.
  6. sweetchopper

sweetchopper New Member

I did, but it's purchased off of Ebay, so also asked here for a second opinion. Thank you tho
  7. sweetchopper

sweetchopper New Member

You'll have imperfections even when "new" straight from the factory?
  8. kraznos

kraznos New Member

Well what did the eBay seller tell you? Go back and look at the picture that the seller posted for the listing and if it's misrepresentative of what you received there's plenty of buyer protection. Honestly at this price point they're gonna be a little rough though, so it is what it is.
  9. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

you could look at it and also think "how is it even possible to make a whole kit for this much?" let alone worry about a few blemishes.

mmm, blemishes :)

unless.... looking at the plug hole closely, is that just minor scratches or actual porosities in the casting that havent been machined out?

first case, keep shrugging, keep building.

second case, wellllll it iiiiiiis meant to be a sealing surface and iiiiiiiiif it doesnt seal properly its sort of useless so at least demand a new replacement head! (or dont worry and replace it with a high compression head ;))
  10. kraznos

kraznos New Member

This is a motor from eBay that was delivered a few days ago, hope its helpful as far as weather or not you want to contact the seller you bought from.

Attached Files:

sweetchopper likes this.
  11. alfredart

alfredart Member

If the outside looks this bad... and it does. I would hate to think what the inside looks like. Welcome to the world of China Girl. From what I've heard you've got a 50/50 chance of getting a good one.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
    sweetchopper likes this.
  12. LR Jerry

LR Jerry Well-Known Member

With these kits you get what you're willing to pay for. There's two building philosophies: 1) Spend the money on a quality kit from the start. 2) Buy a cheap kit then spend money upgrading it.
  13. sweetchopper

sweetchopper New Member

LR Jerry that is definitely a lesson learned in my case.

I got the motor running and it was rough for a few days, but then it crapped out (electrical problem). Looking back I should have waited another couple weeks and bought a DAX motor with a kick start.
  14. IbedaYank

IbedaYank Member

what did you think you were going to get for less than $200 for a whole kit when JUST a Honda motor costs 2x as much???
  15. sweetchopper

sweetchopper New Member

If you're going to be a smart ass, I ask that you keep your comments to yourself and please stay off of my threads. I admitted my mistake and moved on to fixing it.
  16. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

(snicker...) Well said.

You did get an ugly engine there, didn't you? Sorry. But I don't think you necessarily made a mistake. At this price there're bound to be some dogs mixed in.

I've gone through two of them so far. Number 3 is a bit over a year old and number 4 is waiting in my attic for number 3 to die. 1 and 3 have been pretty good. 2 was a dog.

I view them as disposable engines. And I don't care because the cost is practically nothing.

These engines are many things. High quality is NOT one of them.

But they're still pretty lovable anyway.