Just saying Hi

hydrozip

Local time
4:34 PM
Hello,

Been wandering around in these post for a few weeks now after having built my first MB. I order the kit and built a 48cc center mount china rig on a 7 speed beach cruiser. All I can say is what a nightmare and what a test of patience. I spent most of the week it took to build it either laughing or crying. I know people say they build these in half a day, this was however a first time build and I wanted everything to be just right. Although I am an experienced MC mechanic this little project was to be a horse of a different color. Between bad part having to be replaced, motor locking up before it ever hit a lick and many other challenges I finally got it to run and got the Grin that everyone here talks about. I must say that Jim seems to be a great guy at livefastmotor.com where I ordered my parts. He was very pleasant to talk to on the phone and very fast in shipping out the parts and engine ended up needing to be replaced.

Was it worth it? Yes the experience was worth it. The look is cool, however I sold it for what I had in it to a construction worker in the neighborhood. He said it was just what he had been looking for. I am now looking to go with either a friction or belt drive set up and I think I would prefer front wheel drive but haven't quite decided. I don't think I would do a kit build again will probably build from scratch or perhaps just buy the mounting plates with the bearing and roller attached and fabricate it to mount it to my motor. It will be on a Schwinn mt bike with front suspension.

I had originally wanted to build a hybrid gas/electric pusher. But after more research I decided that the the electric thing although hyped as something that is green isn't so green after when it comes to deposing of all those batteries and the weight of both just doesn't add up in the end. I have always liked the idea of the pusher and a few years ago I had toyed with the idea of mounting a motor on a two-wheel dolly (hand truck) but never got around to actually making mounts and brackets to do it. I have seen here on a thread that some one has actually done that now. I think that great although I had only planned on using a small 31cc weedwacker engine and not a 6.5 hp that was done by a member here.

I might still do a pusher as well it's a toss up between being able to quickly unhook the thing and just ride your bike without the added weight if you don't want it. However with a pusher if your tight on storage space then it's just one more thing you have to find a place store when it's not in use. Perhaps the front wheel drive with either belt or friction can have a quick release set up to remove in just a few minutes.

Great site guys. I have enjoyed reading all the various threads and pictures that have been posted here.

Welcome,
I finally got it to run and got the Grin that everyone here talks about.

Just want to help you smile, smile, smile some more.

I am now looking to go with either a friction or belt drive set up and I think I would prefer front wheel drive but haven't quite decided.

That red tricycle that pops up on the top banner is one of three front drives I built....and I do not advise that technique.

You are adding 12-15 pounds to the front handling, which is awkward, it causes all sorts of cringing when you hit a rough patch of asphalt.

With the exhaust and noise behind the seat, there are times you forget its even back there, but when it's in front there is no such holiday.

But the main objection is when it is affected by your pedaling, you and the engine are a collaboration on a rear mount. On a front mount its more of a "float" feeling, being pulled in the front and not really helping much with the chain/sprocket.

Good luck on whatever you choose....

Attachments

• 2007_0326tricycle0013.JPG
    2007_0326tricycle0013.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 94
  • collage6.jpg
    collage6.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 86
You are adding 12-15 pounds to the front handling, which is awkward, it causes all sorts of cringing when you hit a rough patch of asphalt

I don't think I would want to do a mount on the front without a front suspension. But nice trike looks like fun.

Last edited:
But the main objection is when it is affected by your pedaling, you and the engine are a collaboration on a rear mount. On a front mount its more of a "float" feeling, being pulled in the front and not really helping much with the chain/sprocket.

I understand that you might feel pulled along but I felt a sense of being pushed along with the chain and sprocket set up on the rear wheel. And of course the effect of pedaling was also affected greatly as well. It all depended on how much throttle I added and how much energy I wanted to expend. I'm sure a pusher trailer might have some of the same effect on the pedaling as well. So I guess I really don't get your point but you have much more experience at this than I so I will have to take your word for it. I can see that the weight on a front traction would be a little awkward until I get use to it but again I can see the weight a rear mount which usually has the engine mounted to one side would be a little awkward at first as well. No doubt that the sense of balance is best on a low center mount HT type setup but then you also have the extra noise of the chain, both with engine running and not, you have a hot exhaust pipe sitting extremely close to you foot. There is a tremendous amount of vibration on the center type mounting also, even with rubber mounting. In regards to the vibration I really do like the idea of a pusher. I think that would get the noise at the greatest distance and keep the vibration to a minimum. HMMM... I will eventually have to make a decision I suppose.

Last edited:
Back