Just went on a beautiful 25 mile ride woohoo!

Nahom

Local time
10:14 AM
So started putting the bike together again and decided to use the new kit's chain- I thought why not? I'll learn how to break and cut it to right length and it'll be useful for when I made my own second bike.
Noticed two tight spots - was confused because it was a new chainand so assumed it was normal.

When I rode it first time after fully assembled - didn't start and the chain immediately jammed. Got mad.
Went back- thought maybe I should have oiled it - it is a new chain after all and a new sprocket. Done. A bit of grease on the sprocket can't hurt either. Then I fuel tap was off!
Second attempt chained snagged and judded to halt even though tap was on. Got mad.
Went back and changed back to old chain.
Third attempt started then died. put choke down after a few seconds of starting shot like a rocket!... then died. It seemed the choke lever would drift upwards slowly from down position until the mixture too lean- this was because the nut behind the lever was loose- tightened.
4th attempt wouldn't start :(. There was a rattling sound inside the motor. The clutch wasn't engaging either. Opened up the Right side gear case and the flower nut and clutch cover and spring all fell out! The inside forces from engine combustion had shot them loose. I realised I forgot to put that tiny little screw next to the flower nut which threads through the clutch cover in. Once again forgot that no part even the smallest is surplus in these engines. sigh. Tried to put flower nut back on- was threaded! Was scared the clutch shaft was threaded too. Nope just the flower nuts- sprinted and nicked the flower nut from the old engine.
5th attempt. Woohoo! as title says. :) :) :)

Thanks for the help everyone!

Good job getting it going, now to do jag's mods to lower vibration and increase lifespan lol.

I'm afraid I dont understand "jag's mods"- also by increase lifespan do you mean mine or the bike's :p

This is Jaguar's awesome website of awesome if you own a 2 stroke:
http://www.dragonfly75.com/motorbike/ study it like the Bible.
Also, having higher reliability and extra power can increase the lifespan of you and your bike. Just because you can go 40+ doesn't mean you gotta go everywhere like that... it's nice to have some oomph above your cruising speed, can save your life.

Last edited:
This is Jaguar's awesome website of awesome if you own a 2 stroke:
http://www.dragonfly75.com/motorbike/ study it like the Bible.
Also, having higher reliability and extra power can increase the lifespan of you and your bike. Just because you can go 40+ doesn't mean you gotta go everywhere like that... it's nice to have some oomph above your cruising speed, can save your life.

Damn that looks like a long read- do you think I should devour it this week? And wow I read 1000cc motorized bike somewhere near the bottom- why is everyone who makes these capping themselves at 80cc?

The biggest quality of life mod on Jag's site (imo) is drilling some weight reduction holes in the piston, deburring the holes and, if you have the right bit, drilling out the wrist pin. It will make your bike almost vibrationless, it'll make the engine happier pumping less weight around, and it smooths the low end out a bit.

As for the rest, read it study it and don't try messing with anything until you feel you understand why you're doing it and what's happening. You can modify these guys a lot but it's a lot harder to undo the mods without replacing parts.

All that out of the way, Congrats on the first ride brother! There isn't any feeling in the world like dashing down the road on your mini-moto-death-contraption

26 mile ride is way better than a 25 mile ride!

Good job getting it going, now to do jag's mods to lower vibration and increase lifespan lol.

NO WAY! Don't touch it. Just ride it and learn.
Don't modify anything unless there is a real problem. Even then, go carefully.
Like you found every part is important, every design feature had a reason.

Use good oil, 32:1, lightly grease the clutch gear every tank of fuel, keep the chain proper slack. Check the bike over every ride and check every nut and bolt for tightness every week.

And most of all, ride and have fun!

Steve

I'm all about modding lol, just put a refill valve on a bic lighter because why not :p? I wouldn't do every mod on jag's site but the few fixes that lower vibration are a must imo. Match weight between all moving parts in the top end vs bottom end, shave some of the piston down to advance timing, the usual.

Steve

Oh no I left the fuel tap on overnight and now it starts judders and dies whether the choke is up or down. I only put the choke up till it's warm- It can't sustain the engine and always eventually dies if the choke stays on. Is it really really bad to leave fuel tap on and could that be the cause? I would have just thought the only thing to happen would be the carb float bowl becomes full and then no more fuel is sucked down...
Also I took out the spark plug and the tip was black and the bit that was supposed to be white is also black.
1) I can't tell if this means carbon fouling or fuel fouling- is there a way to distinguish?
2)If its fuel fouling bike berry say the way to do it is the open up carb and move the clip up the jet needle. Is there another way without having to take apart anything?
3) Also if you see a spark plug like this does it need to be thrown away? when I do the spark plug test- put it next to the fins of the engine cylinder and rotate back wheel sparks still fly...

Last edited:
Back