Stolen Kerf Victimized

Discussion in 'Stolen Bicycles & Security' started by kerf, Oct 20, 2009.

1. kerf

kerf Guest

My wife and I went to the lake in September and took both of our bikes in my enclosed utility trailer. After returning, I unloaded my bike, because I ride around town but left the wifes Diamondback with the Staton friction drive/ TLE43 on the locked trailer. Yesterday morning I found the back trailer door down and the bike gone, someone put a bolt cutter to the pad lock, I think just before daylight. I called the Sheriff and filed a report, maybe some good will come of that. There has been a rash of burglaries all across Birmingham and as the deputy was finishing up with me, a call came over the radio of a burglary in progress a few blocks away. He quickly left, lights and sirens full blast.

I reported the theft to my insurance adjuster, in Alpharetta, GA and she told me the were just talking about all the claims coming from Birmingham. I think someone saw the locked trailer and broke into it thinking there would be contractor tools inside. To say kerf's angry is very much an understatement. The bike along with the engine and other accessories cost me about $1200, less the $500 deductible leaves me in a hole. Not to mention the sweat and hours I put into the bike. Wife cried, I cursed.

Just a word of warning to my MB brothers, the economy is in the sewer and with the holidays looming, well I'll just say there are thieves among us. I thought I had done everything right but apparently not. Look at everything you own and every conceivable way some piece of **** could steal it. Take photos of your stuff and keep good records, so if it happens you are prepared.

Well, I'm off to the bike shop to begin getting information for my claim, this is no fun.

2. moondog

moondog Member

Sorry to hear that. :(

I hope you find it. Kerfs big adventure !
  3. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

that sucks!got any ghettos around there?thats where youll find it.there not going to pawn it but there gonna want to make a quick will probably end up in the nearest hood.

or in police custody when some @#$@#$% gets pulled over on it.
  4. cpuaid

cpuaid Member

it scares me to death leaving my GEBE or Staton bikes locked outside when i'm on an errand run. I'm so paranoid that i have 2 locks with me at all times. I hope you get your bikes safely back and the lowlifes that took it wind up in jail.
  5. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

Wow kerf, sorry to hear that. At least they didn't bust into your house.

Better keep an eye out on craigslist or any local pawn shops for your bike!
  6. loquin

loquin Active Member

That stinks, Kerf. My wife's bike (with a Honda gx25 staton friction drive) was stolen last year from in front of the gym (with kryptonite cable lock) and was not recovered.
  7. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

Hate to hear that. These motored bikes are NOT all that common in the Birmingham and surrounding areas. Please post if you will a picture of the bike and I'll keep my eye out. I live just off exit 234-231 on I-65...Calera.
    My wife travels more then I to the Homewood area..daaaa....The Galleria. So with my wife, son, and friends, along with myself looking out, we just might see it.
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  8. fasteddy

fasteddy Member

Kerf, rough luck indeed. Sure sounds like you have a gang moved into the area.
    Hope they bust them but that nights load is already on it's way out of town.

The worst part is that you have to spend a lot of time getting the paper work together to satisfy the insurance co.

9. kerf

kerf Guest

Thanks for the support guys, the Sheriff Dept. has a hot list that the pawn shops work with them on. They called this morning to say they were putting it on the list. I don't have a picture of the Diamondback but I do have a picture of the bike the motor was on before. All of the parts were swapped to the Diamondback so it would be almost identical except for the color. Instead of being light green, it's dark green, other than that it's the same.

I've been looking and I hope the law comes through, but it would probably be better if I don't personally find the thief. Guess you could say, kerf would be better suited to 1909 rather than 2009, if you get my meaning.

Attached Files:

• Bike.jpg
      File size:
      195.3 KB
  10. Douglas

Douglas New Member

You're lucky. They took my whole trailer! :veryangry:
  11. kerf

kerf Guest

They stole that two years ago, in broad daylight. This one has a lock on the coupler latch, a SS Master coupler lock in the coupler, and a 3/8" log chain around an oak tree. Hope it slows them down. Maybe one day me and little kerf will happen on someone in the process. I wouldn't hurt a fly but little kerf, now that's another matter.
  12. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

Now that I know what kind of set up you HAD, ANYONE with one like that will be talking to the police if they get there in time.
  13. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

im telling you it will wind up being driven in the hood!believe that!

theylle just dart across the rode with it now and then,so youlle have to be lucky to see it!
  14. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

15. seanhan

seanhan Member

would be cool

to have a lojack on your bike !!!!!
  16. augidog

augidog Banned

man that's real carp, alright...i have to admit i'd cry if someone took my MB, and i also have to admit i'd prolly be out there taking the law into my own hands.

kerf, it almost sounds like you were cased or observed, if the trailer was an easy target compared to wherever you normally keep the MB's...i don't think many people steal an MB for profit, i think they WANT it...maybe they'll screw up & show it off to someone who has some principle and they'll be caught. i'm gratified that the local law isn't blowing this off.

unfortunately(?) we've been teaching people a lot about keep an eye (and ear) out for the engine on another bike, too.
  17. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

Wow Kerf, that truly stinks. I hope the bike turns up, and that the perp(s) get nailed for it.
  18. frenchlayer

frenchlayer Member

I work with a bunch of cell phone stores in the SE and loathe the holidays, the armed robberies skyrocket, but this year is happening earlier than usual, at east I can carry legally
  19. spunout

spunout Member

ive known you a fair amount of time, kerf. i'd say if anyone didnt deserve that, its you. sorry, man.
  20. machiasmort

machiasmort Active Member

Good luck Kerf, hope you get it back!

Help Kerf out! I've been doing this for Tom also...

Run this search in Google and if it's out there, it should hit anywhere in AL:
    diamondback + alabama + craigslist
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2009