Kerf's back, less than happy homecoming

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by kerf, Jul 14, 2010.

1. kerf

kerf Guest

As some of you know, I went to the lake last Sunday to spend the week. Things were going well and my wife and I went for a ride this morning. We stopped at a park beside the lake for a break and pulled out of the parking lot to head home. I was in the lead and looked in my mirror for my wife, who was nowhere to be seen. I turned around and came back looking in the parking lot for her, then I spotted her in a ditch beside the road.

She wasn't moving and it scared me good, I ran to her and she was conscious but I could tell she was hurt pretty bad. After checking her condition, she seemed alright except for extreme pain in her right shoulder. I got her to her feet and helped her to a table in the park and went back for the bikes. She was in great pain, but with no cell signal, I hopped on my bike and "sprinted" the eight miles back to the resort. I left my bike at my camper and headed back in the truck, wide open.

After getting her in the truck, we went for a fast and painful 25 mile ride to the Marshall County Regional Medical Center. X rays indicated the the Humerus was shattered right where it connects to the shoulder ball. They put her in a serious sling and we raced the 75 miles back to Birmingham to my Orthopedic Surgeon. He put her in a contraption to immobilize her arm for the next 4 weeks.

The good news is that she's alive and probably won't need surgery. Trip ended a bit early but considering the possibilities we came out blessed. Son in Law went to the lake to retrieve my dog from the camper and he and I will go up tomorrow and put the camper up and bring our stuff home. What a day!

2. plinko

plinko Banned

I know we are not fond of each other Kerf.But I am happy to hear your wife will be alright and Did not have to undergo surgury or lose her life.Every day I ride my m.b. or motorcycle.I ride It as It Is my last day on this earth.
  3. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

dang man....that's some bad luck.

Let's all hope for a speedy recovery.
  4. moondog

moondog Member

Ouch ! Hope all is better soon !
  5. seanhan

seanhan Member

sorry to hear that Kerf.. but it sounds like you handled the situation well and did not panic.. Don't know if I could ..
    Best regards to your wife for a speedy recovery.
  6. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

Kerf,, sorry to hear that..hope your wife feels better soon..good thing she didn't bang her head and/or get hurt worse..good thing she had you to take some fast much of this accident stuff going on with us here
  7. give me vtec

give me vtec Active Member

wow... couldn't even imagine the panic I would feel if that had happened to my wife.

Happy to hear everything is relatively OK.
  8. plinko

plinko Banned

Guess I am fortunate not to have a wife or g/f to worry about.Hard enough taking care of myself and Lord knows the worry I would put a significant other through with me riding m.b.'s and motorcycles.I worry my mother enough as Is.With all the friends and associates I have lost on m.b.'s and motorcycles or anything with 2 wheels.I am almost tempted to hitchike to alaska and live off the land and get away from society much as possible.
  9. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

Vtec.. no..some would just sit there and hope..but you would do the same as Kerf..make a quick decision and take action
  10. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

I am very sorry to hear this, kerf!
    I too am glad that things were not worse off, not to discount what did happen though.
    I pray that your wife will heal quickly and without complications.
  11. kerf

kerf Guest

Thanks for the kind words guys, the wife and I really appreciate it. This is causing a major disruption in the kerf household. There is no way to put a cast on this break, the entire arm is secured across her abdomen and just getting up from a chair causes pain. She's pretty much unable to do anything for herself right now, she has to sleep sitting up and Wednesday night no one slept. We both got a good nights sleep last night so maybe things will start getting better.

Looking back over the accident, it looks like she came out of the parking lot too fast. Even though we had been there many times, just a momentary laps in judgment can spell disaster. It appears that as she came out of the lot, she went across the highway and seeing she was too close to the shoulder, hit the brakes. It looks like she flipped the whole bike over the front wheel and landed on her right forearm. The only damage to the bike is a split right handle bar grip.

Right now, I think she is willing to climb back in the saddle but I'm no longer sure about me.
  12. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Sorry to hear about the accident. Hope she feels better soon, and heals well.
  13. moondog

moondog Member

Hi kerf,

I have been riding this. I am up to 10 miles a day with no motor.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2010
  14. moondog

moondog Member

Some things I found out.

It will go real slow and maintain balance at close to or 0 mph.

It is real easy to slow down and get it off the road when I see a RV coming from behind.

I have a tail light on it that will blink.

People passing me will go in the other lane and leave me some room.
    ( don't want to kill the old dude ? )

On bicycles sometimes they will pass me leaving less than a foot between us !

Flat tires real easy to fix.

Can carry a bag of dog food and an 18 pack of beer.

I have a front electric hub motor to put on it but I am having so much fun on it I have not put it on yet.

Great for building up the legs.
  15. moondog

moondog Member

It's a single gear Schwinn trike. 56lbs like it sits in the picture.
  16. moondog

moondog Member

And I am allowed to park it inside the Winn Dixie !

I am from Alabama. Brewton.
  17. moondog

moondog Member

18. moondog

moondog Member

It's a different beast.

Not for bunny hoppin' or ramp jumping !

It has moves though. I would have never thought a trike could corner as good as it does !

Most trikes I see have Harley motors on them. Trikes are becoming real popular.

I have seen scooter and moped trikes around too.

When I was about 18 I had mainly one thing on my mind !

Then I saw a VW trike one of my friends had built.

It was so cool but his welds looked not so good.

I wanted one but did not know a good welder so I signed up for a welding class at the local trade school.

I had no intrest other than building a VW trike.

Ended up becoming a welder and getting a job welding.

Never built that VW trike.
  19. moondog

moondog Member

I don't see it as a granny trike at all.

I think it is a small human powered truck !

There is a hill around the block that is short but somewhat steep.

I am going up it full power now, what a buzz ! Then coast awhile.

When I do the 10 miles I am only peddling about 1/3 of the time.

The rest of the time I am coasting downhill.

When I am done I have a real good buzz !

I can really get the burn going on fast with that trike ! Can't put that much power on a bicycle ! Get too high !
  20. moondog

moondog Member

Trikes are a buzz all their own ! :D