Kill Switch Wiring

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by pucksterpete, Oct 12, 2010.

1. pucksterpete

pucksterpete Member

I have read a lot of post about which wires to hook your kill switch to. Some say connect it like your manual says to:

CDI Blue to Engine Blue
    CDI Black to Engine Black
    Kill switch Yellow/red to Engine White
    Kill Switch Green to Ground

Some people say this:

Don't connect the kill button to the white wire! (It can sometimes short out the mag coil!)
    Connect the kill wires to the blacks & blues, & cap off the white wire!!

I am not sure what is the correct way. I want to use a kill switch, but I don't want to damage either the cdi or mag. Can anyone shed some light on these 2 ways or other ways of hooking up a kill switch? Thanks for the help & suggestions

Pete

2. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

THE SECOND WAY!

keep that white wire out of the equation. just wire one wire of the switch to blue, the other to the black...

else youll be back in a few weeks searching for answers on where your spark has gone...

3. pbeggs

pbeggs Member

both work,.. i have always used white wire for kill switch I think if properly done this is correct way if done incorrectly (poor connections,. lack of insulation,..) either method will cause problems.

4. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

(at the moment, i despise ppl saying " i think"... too many stuff ups at work cus someone keeps "thinking" i now demand an "i know")

if you decide to pull your magneto coil apart( possibly after its fried), you will find that the white wire is a seperate winding to the blue wire, with a common earth point.

shorting out the white wire to earth causes a huge current drain(oh wow, maybe an amp or two, :lol: ) through this earth connection. the current is carried by a VERY fine wire. it burns out. hello dead magneto.

im not saying using the white wire doesnt work. i am saying that in the long run, its a good idea not too. it took mine about 6 weeks...

5. pbeggs

pbeggs Member

on the other hand i know that the two engines i have work perfectly, wired using the white wire as kill switch (one for 4 years and still going,...)

6. Vistaman73

Vistaman73 Member

I have it hooked up the first way. I have had it like that for a year and have had no issues what so ever. As long as the connections are strong and everything is wired right, it will work as it should. It's just taking the power from the mag and grounding it through the bike frame. (I have the green wire grounded to one of the bolts on the frame for a water bottle holder.)

Vistaman73

7. pucksterpete

pucksterpete Member

Thank you everyone for your input, I have decided to just use a little string tied to the spark plug boot and give it a good yank to stop the engine each time.

8. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

Why does everyone make it so hard on others. Thousands upon thousands of magnetos are grounded this way to kill a engine. Just disregard the white wire..heck I wish they NEVER installed the white wire for those that don't have the knowledge.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/question375.htm

[​IMG]

The kill switch wires hooks up to the positive lead either on the coil (blue wire), or on the CDI. The second kill switch wire either hooks up to ground on the bike/engine, or the CDI black wire wire which is grounded on the coil (black wire). In the ole days we had a metal tab that we would lean aganist the spark plug tip to kill the engine.

Before I'd tie a piece of string to the plug wire and make it look like a 10 year old did the work, I'd run a wire from the kill switch to the spark tip, wrap and hold in place with plug boot. The other kill switch wire goes to ground. If that won't kill the engine you have a defective kill switch.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  9. pucksterpete

pucksterpete Member

I was just kidding about the string. I did follow your advice about not using the white wire and splicing into the blue and black. She is working fine, whether she just has started and is cold or running for a while. She shuts off now. I don't think I had a good ground before with the white wire. Thanks

Pete

10. Al.Fisherman

The blue comes off of one coil of wire on the coil, and the white from a different coil of wire. One coil of wire might be 200 wraps (heavy gauge), the other 20,000 wraps (very thin gauge).
    And your roller was mailed before the holiday. Let me know when you get it. Want to keep track of how many days it takes.

11. jerrett71

jerrett71 New Member

Kill switch

So I recived an engine, and on the kill switch the instructions were'nt to clear my last one you just hooked to the frame this kill switch has a black and white wire ,the engine of course has the blue to blue and black to black and the white one is for the light, my question is were do i hook up the black and white wire from the kill switch:bowdown:

12. Al.Fisherman

Why is it that people just ask the same question time and time again. This subject was covered not more then 6 hours ago. The best thing I'm going to say is "SEARCH"

If you can't find it...just wrap a wire around the spark plug tip, hold secure with plug cap and when you want to kill the engine grab the wire.

13. hurricane

hurricane Member

best advice Ive heard in along time :idea:

14. jerrett71

jerrett71 New Member

some people are just plain retarded you didnt have to be an a hole all you had to do was say look under search

15. jerrett71

jerrett71 New Member

Ok nothing was said about a kill switch that has a black and yellow wire ?thats what comeing out of my kill sitch

16. Al.Fisherman

Think how a kill switch is built, think what it does, what difference does the color of the wire used in the kill switch make? Look back at the drawing. It makes NO ...NO, difference which wire from the kill switch goes to which wire on the CDI. There are 3 wires coming out of a CDI...one being the plug wire, so we can dismiss that wire. Now one wire goes from the kill switch to a CDI wire and the other kill switch wire goes to the other CDI wire.... PERIOD How much simpler can one get? Think of the wires on the kill switch being the same color. They should of been made with one wire color to start with.

[​IMG]

A kill switch is nothing but a switch much like you have on your wall for lights (you could use a wall switch as a kill switch if it wasn't for it's size). One position the switch is open (lights off...engine runs) the other it is closed (lights on ...engine stops). Only one color (white) wire is used in and out of the switch. Both just make and brake a electrical connection. It's just that a kill switch connects to ground and kills the connection ti the plug.

http://www.motoredbikes.com/search.php?searchid=1570977

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=28820&highlight=kill+switch

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  17. hurricane

hurricane Member

also , if the kill switch is so complicated , just set the idle screw so it stops the engine when you release the throttle. I use this method alot myself for quick kills when i see the popo in my mirror

18. Al.Fisherman

complicated??? You are kidding, I should hope...

Not me.. when at a traffic light I like to disengage the clutch, lock in place and release my grip on the controls waiting for the green. Then again in Alabama anything less then 150cc is 100% street legal, how nice it is here.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  19. hurricane

hurricane Member

I was referring to the constant questions about the kill switch is all.

Its pretty simple to just throw the kill switch in the trash and adjust the idle screw.I can idle just fine with the throttle if i chose too,two of my builds use the kill switch and one is set up to use either kill button or idle screw,depends on the mood

20. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

You can run the killswitch to the sparkplug, then no contraversy.:idea:

That's how old lawnmowers do it, right? Grounded metal strap, push towards sparkplug, engine dies.:detective: