kill switches are killing me

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by rob johnson, Feb 11, 2011.

1. rob johnson

rob johnson Member

I recived six engine kits from gas bike the other day and found that the black engine kits were gt2 and the non painted kits were gt2b. After building all I found that the gt2 kill switches all worked fine and the gt2b kill switches did not work. how do I fix it. I know you guys can help

2. RedBaronX

RedBaronX Member

I have heard that the kill switches built into the throttle assemblies are often problematic for all models. Many people use an aftermarket kill switch. You can use any "normally open momentary" switch, or you could use one like what Sick Bike Parts has.

I bought one of these: Light Switch/Turn Signal because I am going to wire my bike for full lights. I could literally use the horn button as a kill switch, but I'm not going to

3. yimmie

yimmie Member

i just choke the engine. works fine

4. rob johnson

rob johnson Member

Thanks for the replys, but can choking to kill ever time hurt the engine in any way.

5. Sometimes it may be a little harder to start up right away, but it's not going to hurt it.

6. RedBaronX

RedBaronX Member

many people with more experience than me prefer choking off the engine over using a kill switch

7. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

Get aftermarket one or make one yourself with some radio shack parts, wire, and soldering iron/solder. If you can't do that, then buy one from local shop or get one from SBP. I use choke to kill mine which I think is better because you aren't shorting out the CDI/magneto which are both failure prone- I carry spare of each on all of my long rides.

8. sideshowbob

sideshowbob Member

Kill switch is a ground

The kill switch on the china girls are - ground they must have a good ground to work right. Scrape the paint off on some screw and make a well grounded system with a separate ground wire if needed and the kill switch should work correctly.

9. wbuttry

wbuttry Member

Also depends on how you hook up also. I hook mine to the wire running from the coil the black and blue wire. I never grounded my switches and my white wire hangs free. No problem i touch my kill switch and it kills the engine instantly. And will re fire instantly when i need it to. I try to keep a little higher idle so i can just litely release clutch and start to go again . So i dont kill the motor at stop sign .