Brakes Kill that coaster brake!

Oddzball

Local time
5:05 PM
SO how do i remove me coaster brake and turn my bike into a freewheel?

i have caliper brakes so i dont see the need for a coaster brake TBH

depends on what type

I used to replace the four brake pads on a bendix coster with a spring and a washer. But I don't know if you can still do that trick today.

mike

if all fails.

unfortunately, the only other option I can think of is replacing the rear wheel. If you've got a really good rim you might think of releasing the old rim to a new hub.

Chances are that the price of a new wheel is less than the price then getting your old wheel released with a new hub.

mike

I believe you can just remove the torque arm that attaches to the left side of the rear fork to disable the coaster brake. Remove the wheel, then the nut on top of the torque arm and wiggle/pry it off, then replace the nut. Replace the wheel and try it.

i just took out the brake pads, now it basically does nothing. I'm not sure of the long term effects, but dont see why it would cause a problem...

There's been a big thread on this out at the other forum - remove the pads and the torpedo will unscrew into the spring. The best solution is to put washers on the axle inside to allow your cranks to pedal back and forth - while also allowing you to adjust how far you turn the cranks before the sprocket engages.

Here was my thought though.

Everytime you back peddle it unscrews slightly.

BUT every time you start peddling forward again (If you left the tensioner bar on) it screws itself tight again.

So in theory unless you were doing a lot of back peddling it "shouldnt" come out correct?

back pedaling

If you instal a washer and a spring then it doesn't matter how much you back pedal. It will always reengage. You just need to find the right spring and washer. I used to use a spring from a three speed hub to do the job. Now they are not as common as before.

Mike

i dont see how that keeps the "torpedo" from backing out and jamming up.

Its a course thread basically, and like any "bolt" if you keep turning it it will build up pressure pushing against the threads and either rip through the threads to back itself out or jam up completely.

Probably better to just let it disengage and re-engage, even if you have to do a full revolution to do so..

Back