Kind Of A Dumb Question

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by BikerInFla, May 22, 2011.

1. BikerInFla

BikerInFla New Member

To All,

Does anybody put their throttle grip on the left-handside .... I got kind of a bad right hand so when I build my bike want to reverse the throttle of the handlebars.

Thanks

Rick

2. put it were you want it

3. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

Just remember that the throttle on the left, the rotation of the handle will be reversed. Twist away from you for acceleration. Kill button will face forward. Other then that do what is best for yourself.

4. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

Here's a thought... a left side grip-shifter could easily be converted into a throttle.

Also.... think about operating a clutch lever & throttle with the left hand, at the same time.
    maybe an auto-clutch? (centrifugal)

5. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

"The only stupid question is the one unasked."

Your right hand doesn't work so well, I have no left hand, and only two of the four fingers on the right work. Figure out what will accommodate your needs, or ask for help figuring out a fix, and do what works. There is no one "RIGHT" way.

6. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

like.jpg

7. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

like.jpg that. too. :D

8. BikerInFla

BikerInFla New Member

Thanks for the responses :) will look into your suggestions

Rick

9. rustycase

rustycase Banned

Controls should be what you feel are most suitable.

Left hand throttle, foot clutches, right and left side tank shifters, foot brakes, hand brakes, it's all been done before for various reasons.

Good luck!
    rc

10. An added benefit is if someone tried to ride off on your scooter, they would have a hard time figuring things out! ;>

11. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

Trigger type lever is an idea. Due to space allocation on my handlebars, that's what I have. It's mounted on the right hand side, and is actually thumb operated. Just like the one on my ATV. My jet ski has the same type, but index finger operated. I’m surprised no one’s mentioned this already. As far as thumb/index finger operation, just mount the lever and rotate it to the position you want. They're less fatigue on you fingers and hand than a twist grip is as well.

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  12. sparky

sparky Active Member

Thumb Throttles = WIN!

13. rustycase

rustycase Banned

I'm beginning to like the bar-mounted throttle lever idea...

LOL A friend once allowed me to ride his restored Indian inline four to the market for ciggies... as I went out to start it, he mentioned, 'It has a left-hand throttle, and don't bother using 1st gear, it's too low.' LOL

I made the trip without events, but I sure had to pay attention!

It wasn't quite the handful an 80cuin UL was, with a long, kicked out front end, sticky throttle, and rocker clutch pedal ! Wahoo!

It's all fun!
    rc

14. cpuaid

cpuaid Member

Never used a thumb throttle, but the trigger / squeeze throttle like the one shipping with Staton kits is very comfy, responsive, and extremely inexpensive in price. My right hand used to cramp up on long rides when I used the HT twist throttles.