Kings Belt Drive

N

nweiner

Can the Kings engine accept a belt drive system? I can easily design and build a rearend to accept belt drive, but am unsure about the engine. If anybody has done it...pics please. Thanks

That would be interesting! Can't recall seeing that anywhere here, I'll take a stroll through the search out of curiosity.

do you mean actually convert from sprocket to pulley on the output shaft?

that would be a neat tweak. i believe belt-drive is the drive of the future, no matter the mounting-style.

yes, make a pulley on the output shaft. I guess I could take a sprocket and grind off the teeth and machine a pulley to slide over and tighten on the ground down sprocket. The chain creates so much noise that belt drive might be pretty cool. The problem is the belt will have to be skinny and might be too weak.

It would need a vbelt or a heavier toothed belt than a gebe. I'm sure it's doable by some of the guys here.

chaining up the belts!

Hey, Amigo, it CAN be easy to do belt drive, just make a jackshaft, chain it to the engine, and belt it to the wheel! a little well-aligned chain will not make much noise, and the belt-drive is nice and quiet, and sucks up a bunch of the drive-systems "out of round" vibration. You can shim the engine forward to adjust the front chain, and use a spring loaded Idler pulley to take up rear slack. Many opportunities to select a gear ratio this way, tho very few sheaves are factory made anymore. I use Whizzer.

Mike

there would be no problem going belt drive off that motor. you could go v belt or timing belt. belt is so much smoother then chain.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to stay away from using a jackshaft because I like the simplicity of a straight chain. I will try mating a belt pully to a sprocket and let you know how it goes. It would be pretty cool to have a belt driven cruiser. Just one more thing to make my bike a little different.

what materials other than metals would be okay to make pulleys out of. I have acces to autoCAD software and a lasercamm (2-d laser cutting machine) at my University and would be able to make exact fit pieces.

Man if I had access to that cutter. I could make a sweet sweet drive.:)
For starts I would grab a chunk of aluminum and make a one piece rear wheel with the belt track on it (one piece).If I was you I would hit the cad program and go to town.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back