kits from from "luckyearlybird" on ebay...

Can't say, have no experience with them but for my money I don't go with anyone with a 97.8 feedback and 2 negs in the last month. My lower end tolerance is about 99.9.
Besides too many good dealers out there at or near 100%.

The kit looks fine,except for the throttle(the chrome on these wears off) & the 2 complaints are towards the lower end of the scale.They sell spares so that's good.
Make an offer if your interested & see what they say.

I personally take ebay feedback with a grain of salt. I see all to often that if something as trivial as a screw is missing the buyer will give negative feedback before they even contact the seller.

Here is an example of this sellers feedback...

"Low grade kits, tried working with them. They sent me half of what was wrong...."
Follow-up by fattirebros (May-01-09 16:12):
Seller went out of her way to make things right.Will buy from again.Thanks......"

See what I am getting at? So this seller gets a negative mark, but now the buyer is happy and will purchase again.

Now I am not saying purchase from a seller who has sold 10 things and has 5 negative marks. But do take a good look at the negative feedback and see if its justified

*** With that being said I think I will bite the bullet and make an offer on one :)***

I'll give you a few reasons why you should NOT get a flybyebay engine kit.

As the forums have matured, many suppliers have gotten on board. Saving $10-50 through bidding may seem like a good thing at the beginning, then getting free advise on the forum to make up for kit deficiencies may cost you money in the long run.

But the sponsors are paying for space that allows the free advise to happen.

You are going to save money on gas irregardless of which you choose, if you buy from one of our sponsors, it will take you an extra couple of weeks.

By using somebody that is already established on the forum, they most likely have already fixed kit deficiencies, like better bolts, better mufflers, more secure shipping containers. Then when you install a kit, and detect something wrong, ESPECIALLY a manufacturing error, you help the sponsor by notifying him, so he can correct it.

A sponsor will fix things quicker, because they want to keep a good reputation. They won't make you a whiz bang mechanic, but chances are you'll get a lot better ride by following their advise.

A sponsor would also know more about his kit on your model of bike, while "flybyseatofpants" could care less what frame you use.

Finally, everybody on a motorized bike will tell you that your social life, talking to absolute strangers, is going to increase at every stop. "Where'd you buy it?" the 2nd or 3rd question. "I dunno" would be the e-bay answer, while using one of the sponsors, you know the first name of the owner.

Buy local is my motto.

But you are making it sound like if they are not a sponsor here they are no good. :D

I am not saying go out and buy it based on what I think. All I am saying is take a good look at the feedback that is left. The eBay feedback system has always been flawed. I have bough/sold on Ebay since 2000 and its always sucked.

Make your own decision

Hey, it's your money. With mine, I don't buy it, been there done that and I'll play percentages. Too many good sellers out there and as mentioned many right here as sponsors.

But you are making it sound like if they are not a sponsor here they are no good. :D

I am not saying go out and buy it based on what I think. All I am saying is take a good look at the feedback that is left. The eBay feedback system has always been flawed. I have bough/sold on Ebay since 2000 and its always sucked.

Make your own decision

They are not specifically talking about Ebay. These guys have first hand knowledge about these kits. Whether or not they sell them on ebay. If you buy a cheap kit the majority of people on here say that you will have problems. It's not an opinion coming from the guys responding to you. Its from their experience.

A few weeks ago, some Aussies were talking about "why not" casting their own cylinders. After all, the Chinese ripped off a Russian design. It takes research, development and sales to think ahead like that.

The future is looking bright, and the engines are going to get more reliable through feedback then upgrades.

But, without the forums, many of these bikes would sit useless in basements, a waste of time and money.

Anybody who googles it hits the forums nowadays, and while we don't know what the background of the cheapie retailers is (mafia????), the sponsors not only come on board, but send many of their customers here, to join and give free advise.

Just saying, I'd rather pay a "Joe I know" a bit more, so he can expand, than a Don Corleone who smuggles engines in at night from slave camps in Mongolia.

Back