LandRider Hill Rider

You've got to be kidding me - a steep hill - where - where is the steep hill?

Now point the bike up a 22% gradient and accelerate from a standing start with 100 lbs of bicycle trailer behind you, because that's my benchmark baseline.

This was shot from a cellphone. So its hard to tell how steep the hill is. I can coast to over 30 mph going down it and probably would be able to go faster if not having to stop for a stop sign. I live in a valley I could go about 10 miles down the road for even steeper hills.

Another thing to consider is I'm only using a 33 cc 1.6 HP engine. My bike weighs 89 lbs and I weigh 250 lbs. The next video I make I'll place a 8 foot 2x4 on the road with a protractor on it.

Here is how deceptive a camera can be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is how deceptive a photo can be: must be about a 100% gradient but it only looks like a 45% gradient - no need to get out an 8 foot 2x4 on the road with a protractor on it.

Now we are talking turkey !!!

mt_bul11.jpg

mt_bul13.jpg

mt_bul14.jpg

mt_bul15.jpg

Attachments

• mt_bul12.jpg
    mt_bul12.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 409
Used a piece of unistrut instead of a 2x4.
IMAG0098.jpg
IMAG0097.jpg

Slopes vs. gradients vs. % grades are indicated below:

Slope (degrees) !Y ! X ! % grade
11° ! 1 ! 5.145 ! 19.4%
12° ! 1 ! 4.705 ! 21.3%

% grade is 100 * Y/X (vertical rise / horizontal distance)

As you can see 11.5 ° is a 20% grade.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not so sure.
Maybe the is a bit of cheating going on. The first photo is not clear enough to read the number scale and the second photo is a closeup that does not show an 8 foot 2x4 with a protractor on it.

A Unistrut might be giving false readings and it doesn't qualify because it's not an 8 foot 2x4.
When was the last time you seen a Unistrut growing on trees, and when was the last time you seen a Unistrut being defended by environmentalists; preventing the lumberjack from cutting it down.

I've never seen a cabinet maker working with Unistruts to make a set of stairs or a door or a crystal cabinet, because it's not made of wood, and this may very well affect the result.

I'll believe it when i see you use an 8 foot 2x4 that has been certified by the American Lumber Foundation, complete with a photo of the certification documentation and a photo of the certifier holding a copy of the local newspaper with the date clearly visible, as well as the documentation being signed by a justice of the peace.

In this day and age of cheating, you can't be too careful.

Back